The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Cantered bareback! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/cantered-bareback-81961/)

apachewhitesox 03-25-2011 05:37 AM

Cantered bareback!

2 Attachment(s)
I just wanted to share that I cantered for the first time bareback. I have to say I didn't realize how much muscle you used to stay on lol it made walking and trotting seem easy. I have been a bit nervous about going faster but this afternoon I just said stuff it and went. I'm so happy. I thought I would put a couple of pics up I look gross but I think Pepper looks cute even thought she didn't want to sit still. (sorry too the photos were taken on my phone)

I don't know if this will make much sense but if you can ride one horse bareback easily would that make you any better on another horse? For example I can ride pepper 3 gaits pretty easily but sam i still can't go any faster then a walk without feeling im sliding off. I know each horse is different but ...

Dusty1228 03-25-2011 11:14 AM

First, I have to say congratulations! It does take a lot of muscle, huh? My co workers could never understand how I was turning up sore every day when I decided to ditch my saddle. ;)

As far as your question goes, I'd have to say that it makes it EASIER to ride bareback on another horse, or any horse, but there will always be differences and you will have to change up which muscles you are using per the different horse.

I started out bareback with Jojo (15 hh Arab) and we got all the way up to a canter, but it took a long time because he is so little and it was easy to slip and slide side ways until my muscles got used to holding on to his small frame.

Then I moved Butch to bareback as well and it was a breeze (16.3 hh TB). He was like riding a couch, because he was so much bigger than Jojo. But, now I have to ride both horses equally, because if I get too used to Butch's body size, I make so many mistakes when I get back on little Jojo cuz I'm once again not used to how little he is and how different his back muscles move.

I find all the horses I have ridden over the past 6 months to be completely different, even if they are sized similarly. That's my answer and I'm stickin to it!

Once again, congratulations.
Oh, and you DO NOT look gross!

apachewhitesox 03-25-2011 04:18 PM

Haha thanks