The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How do I stop a foal from trying to play with people? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-do-i-stop-foal-trying-81986/)

thatgirlcaitlin 03-25-2011 04:12 PM

How do I stop a foal from trying to play with people?

So, Paddy is to the point where she wants to play with people. She'll trot up and then kick out or rear up and try to play with a person like they're a horse. Well, everything I've read and everything I've ever been taught when working with a foal is to smack them on the butt and they'll get the hint. Well, I've tried that and she'll stop for that day. I think the people who own her mom are letting her get away with it though I have no proof. I've seen them interact with mom and with Paddy and they never seem very comfortable. The other day, Paddy reared up in front of the guy and he just stood up and walked away. Is there a way I can make her stop and teach them how to control her from doing that?
Any advice would be great!

Speed Racer 03-25-2011 04:17 PM

Are you in charge of Paddy's training? If not, this isn't your business.

If they get hurt, they get hurt. It's their horse. Can't fix stupid.

thatgirlcaitlin 03-25-2011 04:22 PM

Paddy was given to me. She's MY horse so I'm in charge of her training. They are the owners of her mother so they are out there with her at times.

Northern 03-25-2011 04:25 PM

If the other people are undermining your training of your horse, you must rectify the situation; unfair to your horse.

thatgirlcaitlin 03-25-2011 04:29 PM

I've tried to tell them not to let her do it. They're new to horses and seem to be uncomfortable even around her mother. Her mother is probably the BEST beginner horse I've ever met. Is there a way I can nicely tell them not to mess with her or how to nicely tell them they need to show her they're in charge? She's on their property until she's weaned so I can't watch her every minute of the day to see how they are interacting with her.

Northern 03-25-2011 04:36 PM

Of course, you can be nice about it! Why wouldn't you?

If the gunsels HAVE to go into your horse's paddock, then you need to teach them exactly what to do when baby comes up to play. Get that clear in your mind, & then give them easy, specific directions.

For example, you might want them to carry & twirl a rope at her every time she approaches them, but calmly, without undue predatoriness!

She doesn't need to bond with them, but only with you, so that might be a viable solution.

thatgirlcaitlin 03-25-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern (Post 974876)
Of course, you can be nice about it! Why wouldn't you?

If the gunsels HAVE to go into your horse's paddock, then you need to teach them exactly what to do when baby comes up to play. Get that clear in your mind, & then give them easy, specific directions.

For example, you might want them to carry & twirl a rope at her every time she approaches them, but calmly, without undue predatoriness!

She doesn't need to bond with them, but only with you, so that might be a viable solution.

Thanks! I'll try to explain that to them tomorrow when I go out there! :)

Northern 03-25-2011 08:55 PM

I'll add that "no undue predatoriness" means not chasing her away, but just backing her off one's personal bubble of 3-4 feet. Tell them that chasing is what a predator does, & will cause the horse to mistrust humans/be stressed around them.

If the people do that consistently, she'll give up approaching them, with no trauma.

churumbeque 03-25-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern (Post 974858)
If the other people are undermining your training of your horse, you must rectify the situation; unfair to your horse.

Why would it be there business to reprimand her horse?

thatgirlcaitlin 03-26-2011 04:20 PM

Well, I talked to them today! They told me they'd stop messing with her. So I guess that's a step forward! :)