The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Safet stirrups - opinions?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kcscott85 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I've seen one kind of te safety stirrupts, but not one that the bottom pops up too. Personally, I have never used a pair but I always ways kind of worried that if my horse spooks and sat it fine that the stirrupt might break and make the situation worse...

But as for the idea of it, it is pretty smart to have if your foot did get caught!

#3 ·
Those are cool looking, I've been looking at those too, but I am going to opt for these instead:

I see many Eventers using these particular irons. I want to beable to get my foot out of my iron if I have to, with ease. But I don't want an iron coming undone on me while in the middle of a course either.

#4 ·
On my trainer's saddles that she lets me use all have the peacock stirrups and haven't a problem with them. On my own saddle, I use the jointed stirrups and have worked fine in falls that I've had ( they didn't let my foot get hung up). I think however the next set I buy will be the peacock stirrups. Those are the ones with the rubber bands on the sides.

#5 ·
I'd prefer making sure the stirrup fits, and wearing good boots. Those two should make it very unlikely that I'd get a foot hung up. With my stirrups/boots, I don't see how my foot COULD go thru or hang up. But I don't jump, and don't know if that would change things.

#6 ·
I greatly dislike peacock stirrups.

bsms - it can happen. It's happened to me, I ended up getting dragged a bit by Nelson because my foot was odly stuck in my iron. We were working on a Trak fence *That's an Eventing fence - where a large log is over a ditch* and everytime I approached it, I would look down at the darn ditch, which would cause Nelson to jump funny/funky.

One approach, I looked down at the stupid ditch, and when he left the ground, he leaped upwards and to the right, where I got left behind, his back end caught my back end causing me to get pushed up and forward.

My seat came out of my tack, my left leg ended up over the pommel and on the left side. Right when we landed, I somehow ended up landing beside him, on my right leg, on Nelson's left side. My left foot was still in my left iron. I twisted around on my right leg going counter clock wise to get untangled, and when I did that, I spooked Nelson, which caused him to take off to the right - where I got dragged. Me being dragged, caused him to spook even more. Luckily a volunteer who was out on the course getting it ready for the up and comming event, was able to grab onto him.

It wasn't serious, I got up and brushed myself off and went back to the fence to continue schooling over it - but it could of ended up being worse.

#7 ·
The heel of my cowboy boot is 1 5/8". I usually ride an Australian saddle with English stirrups in my Tony Lama cowboy boots...OK, I look really confused, but my heel can't go thru, and the part of the boot without the heel is short enough that I can't see how it could hang up.

Never say never, tho, particularly with horses. Glad you weren't hurt. Now you know why I'm too big a wimp to try jumping...:)

Besides, no one would let me on the course looking like I do!

#10 ·
MIE, I have one you posted on my trail saddle (usual straight ones on my dressage).

I was told about the safety stirrups today, but frankly I'm concerned what if you put too much pressure over jump or on landing and they'll break making things even worse (as already mentioned). :shock:

BTW, thanks for opinions, everyone!

#11 ·
I don't know about the ones that actually will seperate like the ones from Mountain Horse, but with the peacocks and jumping, I've not had a problem with the rubber band popping over a jump or on landing and I've ended up in some funky 2-point positions, going back to the basics on the advice of my trainer to break some bad and funky habits that I developed.
Just my experience though.

#12 ·
Peacock stirrups are elastic band stirrups right?
I use those now because I'm a minor. It's frowned upon for anyone over 18 to use them, but my saddle came with them so I didn't care to change.
I've heard jointed stirrups can prevent you from sinking your heel down without bracing. I also imagine that they may not work that great unless you're at a precise angle.
I don't see how the ones you posted specifically could interfere with riding as long as you have some kind of pressure on your stirrup. I played with a pair at the store- they really don't unhinge unless you PUSH them with a good bit of force behind it. I plan to get this kind of stirrup once I'm 18.

#13 ·
I personally don't like these. I used to ride a lot of green horses and train them to jump both stadium and cross country (for eventing) and these stirrups always drove me crazy. When a horse would (inevitably) spook, the sides would fall off of these, since it's the pressure of the foot that keeps the side stuck on. I just began riding again and of course just HAD to get myself yet another green horse. I had the plain old fillis irons, but traded them in for these new fangled irons called Safestyle stirrups. These are amazing and I will never ride in anything else.

Safestyle Offset Eye Stirrup Iron - Quality Tack at Outlet Prices - VTO Saddlery

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.