The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Safet stirrups - opinions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/safet-stirrups-opinions-82046/)

kitten_Val 03-26-2011 01:22 PM

Safet stirrups - opinions?

I'm talking about something like this: ER Wide Track Kwik-Out Stirrups and English Safety Stirrups | EQUESTRIAN COLLECTIONS.COM

Opinions? Experience?

Ray MacDonald 03-26-2011 01:28 PM

I've seen one kind of te safety stirrupts, but not one that the bottom pops up too. Personally, I have never used a pair but I always ways kind of worried that if my horse spooks and sat it fine that the stirrupt might break and make the situation worse...

But as for the idea of it, it is pretty smart to have if your foot did get caught!

MIEventer 03-26-2011 01:43 PM

Those are cool looking, I've been looking at those too, but I am going to opt for these instead:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pub...yfePzYc9Ar7Ztg

I see many Eventers using these particular irons. I want to beable to get my foot out of my iron if I have to, with ease. But I don't want an iron coming undone on me while in the middle of a course either.

Luvs2jump 03-26-2011 01:45 PM

On my trainer's saddles that she lets me use all have the peacock stirrups and haven't a problem with them. On my own saddle, I use the jointed stirrups and have worked fine in falls that I've had ( they didn't let my foot get hung up). I think however the next set I buy will be the peacock stirrups. Those are the ones with the rubber bands on the sides.

bsms 03-26-2011 02:06 PM

I'd prefer making sure the stirrup fits, and wearing good boots. Those two should make it very unlikely that I'd get a foot hung up. With my stirrups/boots, I don't see how my foot COULD go thru or hang up. But I don't jump, and don't know if that would change things.

MIEventer 03-26-2011 02:28 PM

I greatly dislike peacock stirrups.

bsms - it can happen. It's happened to me, I ended up getting dragged a bit by Nelson because my foot was odly stuck in my iron. We were working on a Trak fence *That's an Eventing fence - where a large log is over a ditch* and everytime I approached it, I would look down at the darn ditch, which would cause Nelson to jump funny/funky.

One approach, I looked down at the stupid ditch, and when he left the ground, he leaped upwards and to the right, where I got left behind, his back end caught my back end causing me to get pushed up and forward.

My seat came out of my tack, my left leg ended up over the pommel and on the left side. Right when we landed, I somehow ended up landing beside him, on my right leg, on Nelson's left side. My left foot was still in my left iron. I twisted around on my right leg going counter clock wise to get untangled, and when I did that, I spooked Nelson, which caused him to take off to the right - where I got dragged. Me being dragged, caused him to spook even more. Luckily a volunteer who was out on the course getting it ready for the up and comming event, was able to grab onto him.

It wasn't serious, I got up and brushed myself off and went back to the fence to continue schooling over it - but it could of ended up being worse.

bsms 03-26-2011 02:50 PM

The heel of my cowboy boot is 1 5/8". I usually ride an Australian saddle with English stirrups in my Tony Lama cowboy boots...OK, I look really confused, but my heel can't go thru, and the part of the boot without the heel is short enough that I can't see how it could hang up.

Never say never, tho, particularly with horses. Glad you weren't hurt. Now you know why I'm too big a wimp to try jumping...:-)

Besides, no one would let me on the course looking like I do!

Luvs2jump 03-26-2011 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 975628)
I greatly dislike peacock stirrups.

Haven't had a problem with them yet. I haven't come out of the saddle using them yet. To me they ride just like metal or jointed stirrups.

Ray MacDonald 03-26-2011 04:13 PM

bsms- Ahahahahhaa! Nice!

kitten_Val 03-26-2011 06:12 PM

MIE, I have one you posted on my trail saddle (usual straight ones on my dressage).

I was told about the safety stirrups today, but frankly I'm concerned what if you put too much pressure over jump or on landing and they'll break making things even worse (as already mentioned). :shock:

BTW, thanks for opinions, everyone!