The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What colour possibilities would there be? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-colour-possibilities-would-there-82058/)

xXSweetBreezeXx 03-26-2011 03:23 PM

What colour possibilities would there be?

Ok, so I have a solid bay QH mare who has not been tested for genetic color carriers (or whatever you call it). I am looking at breeding her to a bay roan QH stud, who has been tested and is homozygous for roan. I was wondering what my color possibilities are or if it's even possible to guess without my mares color genetics?

Poseidon 03-26-2011 03:33 PM

56.25% - Bay Roan
25.00% - Chestnut (Red) Roan
18.75% - Blue Roan

So you're going to end up with a flashy little foal. :-P

Chiilaa 03-26-2011 10:53 PM

Just a reminder to test your own mare for at least LWO and HYPP. Once you know her status you can then tell if you need to ask for the stallion to be tested too. Remember that frame can 'hide' on a horse, and you often can't tell if a horse is H/N for HYPP either. Running those tests for your own peace of mind and to ensure you have a healthy foal is really in your best interests.

christabelle 03-31-2011 01:29 AM

I thought homozygous roans did not exist. Am I wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

Poseidon 03-31-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christabelle (Post 980908)
I thought homozygous roans did not exist. Am I wrong?
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha. Yes. :-P It is entirely possible to have a horse that is homozygous for roan.

christabelle 03-31-2011 01:41 AM

Just googled it, Your right. I read once that they thought homozygous roan was leathal in utero due to the percentage of roan/non roan foals and lack of a homozygous individual.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 03-31-2011 01:59 AM

P, did you use the color calculator website? I got different results.

Bay roan = 87.89%
Chestnut roan = 6.25%
Blue roan = 5.86%

Either way, bay roan is the best bet, though flashy is guaranteed :wink::lol:.

Poseidon 03-31-2011 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 980928)
P, did you use the color calculator website? I got different results.

Bay roan = 87.89%
Chestnut roan = 6.25%
Blue roan = 5.86%

Either way, bay roan is the best bet, though flashy is guaranteed :wink::lol:.

If you put "Unknown" for everything, it screws up all of the results. I put heterozygous for everything (when possible) because it's more likely. Homozygous would change it even further, but yeah. Someone mentioned a while back that the Unknown option changes results, so I messed around with it and it makes a huge difference sometimes.

xXSweetBreezeXx 04-01-2011 12:46 AM

Sorry guys, I have no clue about no such thing as homozygous for roan. That's just what the owners said the genetic test results showed, they also gave the veterinarians number if we wanted to call to talk about the stud, so I might just have to do that, because if that's the case, that just seems a little odd...

Poseidon 04-01-2011 01:14 AM

Homozygous roan just means that he will always pass down the roan gene and all of his foals will be roans.