The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Bareback Jumping = Bucking! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/bareback-jumping-%3D-bucking-82085/)

LoveTheSaddlebreds 03-26-2011 08:27 PM

Bareback Jumping = Bucking!

Does anyone else have this problem?

My mare is great to jump. She's willing, always has her ears forward, and seems to really enjoy it. But whenever I jump her bareback, she bucks. Now, not when I trot over it or anything, but when we're cantering, or if I ask for her to land cantering, she'll throw her head down and start baby bucking. The weird thing is, is she never bucks usually. I mean, I can probly count on one finger the times she's bucked outside of bareback jumping. I've jumped other horses bareback before, but she's the only one to complain. What do you think it is?

Tymer 03-26-2011 10:37 PM

Is she happy or angry bucking?
If happy, maybe she's just happy to have more freedom while jumping.
If angry, you might be landing hard on her withers and it's bothering her.

Saddlebag 03-26-2011 10:50 PM

Shr might be feeling a little frisky without the confines of a saddle.

wild horses 03-26-2011 11:08 PM

lol my horse used to do this all the time, as a kid i thought it was great fun!! we'd canter over a jump aand then he'd through down his head and buck for joy!! after the first few times it just became something he thought he cud get away with! i used to school him xcountry bareback in a halter and founf the hole thing hilarious to the shock of everyone else watching! i dont recomend this!

if you dont want her to do it, correct her now! ie pull her head up and reprimand when she does it...

LoveTheSaddlebreds 03-27-2011 10:37 AM

She's only had two "angry" bucks before. One was after winning at a gaming show, we got to do a victory lap and she was tired so she bucked. The other was when my friend was riding her with spurs and she bucked. Besides that, she usually bucks when she's having fun and the bucks she gives out when bareback jumping are little but enough to throw me off balance. I'm not landing on her withers i don't think, because I think I'd feel it too xP

gypsygirl 03-27-2011 10:45 AM

you could just not be getting off her back quite enough. when you jump bareback you want to make sure you make no contact with their back over the fence or on landing. even if bucks dont seem angry they could be. sometimes my mare will over jump a lot at i will bump on her back accidentally and then she bucks, just like her happy bucks, but i could reliably guess that its from me hitting her back.

if you can get someone to video you jumping bareback and see if you are staying off her back enough.