The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Training young foals - advice? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/training-young-foals-advice-82143/)

Equus_girl 03-27-2011 09:59 AM

Training young foals - advice?

I'm going to be advertising for training foals. I have worked with many young horses from newborns to 4 year olds. However I would probably only work with horses up to 2 as I haven't had a lot of experience with real problem horses. I would teach the foals to halter, lead, tie, stand quietly, pick up feet, desensitize to many things, give to pressure, allowing their mouth to be handled, trailer loading and many other things. It would be all ground work, no saddle work.

What do you think would be a fair asking price? I have to be covering my gas as I may be driving a ways to train these horses. I was thinking of having a sliding rate. Like $30 for 1 horse, $25 if they have 3 horses, and $20 if they have 5+ horses. That way if I'm traveling a long way for only one horse I still am covering my gas and making money as well.

Have any of you done this and if so what advice would you give me? I'm interested in hearing all advice and opinions! Thank-you! :D

Speed Racer 03-27-2011 10:35 AM

To be honest, there's probably not much of a market for what you want to do.

Most people with foals are quite capable of training them to do all of that on their own. It's when the horses get close to under saddle age, is when they start looking for a trainer.

Sure, there are plenty of people out there who DON'T handle their foals, but they're not the type of people who are going to want to pay someone to do it for them.

Equus_girl 03-27-2011 10:48 AM

I understand there may not be much of a market. But I want to give a try at it anyways! Never hurts to try. Do you think my pricing sounds fair?

I was thinking maybe people who have lots of foals and are into breeding but don't have lots of spare time might be interested in hiring someone.