The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   Lily threw me off.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/lily-threw-me-off-82164/)

KawaiiCharlie 03-27-2011 03:05 PM

Lily threw me off....

I lunged lily today, and got her to go over some trotting poles etc.
lunged her for about 10 - 15 minutes, then decided to take her back to her stable. i jumped on her bareback and was just going to ride her up there.
all was fine, she took about 10 steps, completely normal and calm then suddenly exploded into a bucking fit...for no reason... wtf? at first i couldnt see alot and was a little dizzy from just being kicked in the head.. i was crying, because my leg hurt so much but my first though was to get up and grab lily before she tripped herself up on the lunge line.. i landed in front of her, her front hoof kicked me in the side of the head (i did have a hat on) and her back off kicked me in the leg. i landed on my back, i have grazes all over my back, and my leg is REALLY swollen and bruised. she wasnt in any pain, she didnt have her ears back, and i had ridden her bareback up from the field and even trotted along the road and into the yard, without a problem. anywayss..pictures from free schooling her a few days ago, anddd my swollen leg & cut up back.

oh and in the first picture, wtf is she doing? it looked like she was trotting, but when i watched her, her back legs didnt look like they were in time with her back legs...she is a saddlebred x and apparently has "extra gaits" according to her owner, is this some sort of gait? or was she just being odd? lol

PintoTess 03-28-2011 04:23 AM

Ouch!! Glad you are ok!! I have been kicked in the head too, not fun is it?

apachewhitesox 03-28-2011 06:48 AM

I'm afraid I cant answer any of your questions but I hope you feel better soon. I am glad to say I have never been kicked in the head though I came close to getting a doublebarrel in the face once

lilkitty90 03-28-2011 10:33 PM

well first i wanna say you have a BEAUTIFUL girl! and i know how you feel. i've ridden my girl plenty of times bareback and one time she was jsut feeling all giddy and exploding into bucking. i managed to stay on for 6 of the 8 bucks lol luckily i bailed sideways! how is your head though? concussions or anything? i'd be terribly worried if i got hurt that bad. as for the gait she could jsut be in a transtion. to a differen gait. but who knows lol

tinyliny 03-28-2011 10:52 PM

Kawaii,

That horse has some issues and I have to be honest with you that you should not be riding her bareback. It's not that you can't do it. You are a terrific rider and could outride me bareback like nothing else. BUT, if she gets you off like this, it could make the next time a repeat of such behavior just seem natrual to her. I gotta say that I get the feeling that there's some real holes in her training. You might want to get someone to work with you.

Did you say you had a helmet? You take care of yourself, or I'm gonna worry about you!

Northern 03-28-2011 11:49 PM

Sorry that you got hurt; hope you're better soon!

Want to add that a horse doesn't buck someone off for no reason; there was a reason in her mind. When you take her a step or two back to fill in the holes in her education, you'll need to solve the puzzle of why she went to unload you. Only when you understand, will you be able to fix it so that she doesn't want to repeat it. A few possibilities:

1. She's a "make me!" horsenality, & they buck rather than go forward.

2. She got scared from your "feel" on her back; crouching like a predator on her?

3. Something scared her in the environment, & she wanted you off so that she could escape.

SMCLeenie 03-28-2011 11:56 PM

I'm sorry you got hurt, I hope you feel better soon, and I second what Tinyliny said, were you wearing a helmet because if not you could have a concussion, which is no fun.

JustDressageIt 03-29-2011 12:03 AM

Regarding the first photo, that's a disconnected trot. One of my pet peeves in dressage :P
http://www.yourhorse.co.uk/upload/5303/images/extend.jpg
Could also be an awkward stride just before or just after a transition.

KawaiiCharlie 03-30-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PintoTess (Post 977317)
Ouch!! Glad you are ok!! I have been kicked in the head too, not fun is it?

no not at all lol

KawaiiCharlie 03-30-2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apachewhitesox (Post 977370)
I'm afraid I cant answer any of your questions but I hope you feel better soon. I am glad to say I have never been kicked in the head though I came close to getting a doublebarrel in the face once

i hadnt been kicked at all until then. typical the first time i get kicked its in the most dangerous place lol