The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Love my horse even more now! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/love-my-horse-even-more-now-82176/)

MyBoyPuck 03-27-2011 05:18 PM

Love my horse even more now!

My horse is almost 9 years old now. Every spring, he seems to have acquired some new sense of maturity. Yesterday, we were practicing our jumping skills. I had set up a small one stride cross rail combination with the intent of trying to get him to jump a little neater. I'm not sure what, if anything, I was thinking, but I brought him to it crooked, without enough impulsion, and with striding that forced him to leave long. He jumped awkwardly over the outer part of the first crossrail, took a stride from hell and then proceeded to jump practically the upright instead of completely running out. End result was me on his neck with one stirrup. Now he could have, and probably should have, given me the finger in any number of ways and deposited my middle aged butt on the ground. Instead, he shifted his weight under me to help me stay up there and proceeded to canter the most balance soft canter he has ever done while I worked on getting myself back together. I cannot think of a time I have ever been more impressed with him.

Two years ago he was dirty stopper and would run out whenever he chose. Now he's saving my butt like a champ. I really love that horse!

Frankiee 03-27-2011 05:40 PM

thats amazing !!!!! wow haha very cool good job :) i find everyday your horse will come out and suprise you with something new there just amazing animals

CJ82Sky 03-28-2011 01:57 PM

aww that's awesome i love when horses grow like that :)

MIEventer 04-09-2011 12:47 PM

I think it is wonderful that the two of you are making so much progress together! It's amazing as to what out equine partners will do for us, when we form that bond and that trust.

MaryMary 04-12-2011 09:11 PM

Awww.
So, I'm curious. What was the number one thing you think has contirbuted to his growth? Just time? Or have you been doing ground work or anything special? Or just lots of riding time...

MaryMary 04-12-2011 09:13 PM

Oh. And I love my horse even more now, too. He just turned 10. I've had him a year and a half. The other day when I went to get him out of his stall, as I scratched his withers, he just leaned his head on my shoulder. It was so sweet. Heavy head, though , lol.

MyBoyPuck 04-12-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryMary (Post 995932)
Awww.
So, I'm curious. What was the number one thing you think has contirbuted to his growth? Just time? Or have you been doing ground work or anything special? Or just lots of riding time...

If I had to pick one thing, yes it would have to just be time. We've been together for 4 years and every ride we get more in sync. We do zero ground work. Lots of time in the saddle. It doesn't hurt that we're two peas in a pod. We both have incredibly small attention spans so eventing fits us well. We both love to haul ass in the hay fields. For my first horse, I definitely did well. I found my equivalent in horse form!

MaryMary 04-12-2011 09:39 PM

Awww... so cute that you found a great match.