The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   New horse + my first year showing...Help please! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/new-horse-my-first-year-showing-82182/)

horsegirlmaddy 03-27-2011 05:49 PM

New horse + my first year showing...Help please!

Hi there! At the end of September 2010, I bought my first horse. She's a lovely sorrel Warmblood/Paint with a big blaze and four white socks (very flashy). She's 14 years old (same age as me!) and has a huge amount of jumping and showing experience. I, on the other hand, do not. I ride her 6 days a week, and we're a good team, so I decided that I would like to take a spin in the competition world this year. Problem is, the barn I ride at doesn't provide coaching at shows, so I'm a bit nervous about going by myself. I'm going to show in very novice youth equitation, poles and crosspoles in the youth hunter division, and 2'6 jumpers.

So, basically, what do I need and what do I need to do? Any showing tips would be greatly appreciated!

~*~anebel~*~ 03-27-2011 07:24 PM

I'm glad that you've bought a suitable horse and everything is going really well for you!!
If you want to show and your barn won't provide coaching at shows then perhaps it is time to evaluate if your barn is really helping your goals or hindering them.
It is useful to sit down with your parents or a knowledgable horsey adult and write down your riding goals for this year, in 3 years and in 10 years. Now think about how you are going to get there in 10 years. If you have competetive aspirations, one of the first things you're going to need is a coach who will go to shows with you and a group of friends to show with!
In your area there seem to be a lot of competetive h/j barns and it would be good to go take a look at one or two and talk to them about what is offered. And talk to your parents about how serious you are about competing.

Good luck!