The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Holes on coronet band! What is it and why? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/holes-coronet-band-what-why-82210/)

Kingzy 03-27-2011 10:10 PM

Holes on coronet band! What is it and why?

2 Attachment(s)
My TB has odd looking holes on his coronet band. They are on all four feet. Some of them look almost a cm deep! I have never seen this before on other horses. I first noticed them 3 months ago but a neighbor said that they were probably small punctures and cuts from stones or branches and I shouldn't worry about it.. Somehow I don't think so. They are always circular in shape.
He has remained sound throughout and never showed any signs of discomfort, even when you touch them and dig out the dirt from inside of them with you nail.

I've taken some photos after washing his legs so that you can see what I'm talking about

If anyone has encountered this or knows what it is please do tell, I'm not sure what I should do

sullylvr 03-27-2011 10:15 PM

Hmm in not an expert but it looks like some sort of fungus to me...
Posted via Mobile Device

PintoTess 03-27-2011 10:17 PM

My friends pony has a little hole on her coronet band and it is super sensitive and looks like a puncture wound.

I agree it looks fungal

Rachel1786 03-27-2011 10:19 PM

I agree that it looks fungal, have you talked to your farrier about it?

Kingzy 03-27-2011 10:21 PM

My trimmer had a look at it and said she doesn't know what it is

Kingzy 03-27-2011 10:23 PM

Doesn't seem to cause him any grief at all but just worried what it is

sullylvr 03-27-2011 10:23 PM

Coronet Band fungus??? [Archive] - The Farrier & Hoofcare Resource Center Forums

Found this about it!
Posted via Mobile Device

sullylvr 03-27-2011 10:27 PM

It dosnt say exactly what it is but it has suggestions and it seems she cured it
Posted via Mobile Device

Kingzy 03-27-2011 10:46 PM

Thank you! I just read it. Seems a very high possibility. Will double check with vet and see what he has to say/recommend for treatment. Till then I will spray with iodine

NdAppy 03-27-2011 10:49 PM

I've seen things posted like this on a few forums... with everything from selenium levels, to abscesses, to standing in wet ground to long...

some links
Small holes in coronet area - The Farrier & Hoofcare Resource Center Forums (go through the whole thread)

Horse Junction - South Africa's no. 1 horse site | View Thread