The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Darkening Supplements If going to show... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/darkening-supplements-if-going-show-82232/)

HorsesAreForever 03-28-2011 09:06 AM

Darkening Supplements If going to show...

I want to show Nova this year in bigger shows...I wanted to use a darking supplement such as black as knight because of where she bleaches.. but I know that can show up as a false negitive on drug test... is there anything else I could maybe use?? Where would I get it.. etc!

I know I could throw a fly sheet on her a light colored on but honestly.. I dont know how long it will last against other horses.

spookychick13 03-28-2011 11:47 AM

I just go this in my email today, it looks like a new product.
Might be worth checking out:
SmartDark & Handsome - Horse Skin & Coat Supplements from SmartPak Equine

Poseidon 03-28-2011 12:47 PM

I got that email too. I wish I had a dark horse just to use it on because I like the name. Baha.

SmartPak makes some good products. You could call them if you have any questions; they have fantastic customer service.

mls 03-28-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsesAreForever (Post 977418)
I wanted to use a darking supplement such as black as knight because of where she bleaches.

Is it the horse in your avatar?

QHDragon 03-28-2011 03:20 PM

I got that email too and thought it sounded like a cool name too!

Christine1003 04-01-2011 05:42 PM

That smart pack stuff has capsaisin which I believe shows up on a drug test so thats a no go lol. I would probably feed a fish oil supplement for a shiny coat. and just try to keep the sheet on during the day and allow a pasture with shade if possible. This is why I don't show haha.

*Edit*
I did some research and the cheval international company that makes "Black as knight" offers a show horse formula that does not contain illegal ingredients. You just need to specify when ordering.

http://chevalinternational.com/page2.html

It's near the bottom of the page.

BlueEyedBeauty 04-02-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christine1003 (Post 983036)
that smart pack stuff has capsaisin which i believe shows up on a drug test so thats a no go lol. I would probably feed a fish oil supplement for a shiny coat. And just try to keep the sheet on during the day and allow a pasture with shade if possible. This is why i don't show haha.

*edit*
i did some research and the cheval international company that makes "black as knight" offers a show horse formula that does not contain illegal ingredients. You just need to specify when ordering.

Coat Enhancers

it's near the bottom of the page.

thank you! =)

mom2pride 04-04-2011 01:01 AM

Makes me glad I have a chestnut now...hahaha...but then, I didn't really care either way, even when I had my bays... I just hate spending so much on different supplements! haha!

I would try sheeting her...that is the simplest, and you won't test pos. on drug tests.

Oh, and just make sure she is getting adequate levels of copper; being a dark colored horse, she requires more than other lighter colored horses...most people forget that, and it's a simple thing to ensure some 'color protection'!

faye 04-04-2011 02:43 AM

black sunflower seeds are quite good for darkening a horse. not sure if they would show on a drugs test or not though.

~*~anebel~*~ 04-04-2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faye (Post 985620)
black sunflower seeds are quite good for darkening a horse. not sure if they would show on a drugs test or not though.

Sunflower seeds don't test.

I was just about to say just what Christine did!
I also find it helps to use a UV blocking fly sheet, and bath/condition with a UV blocking shampoo and conditioner, like vetrolin's "solar guard".

Good luck!