The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Riding To Music (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/riding-music-82260/)

RidingTowardsGrace 03-28-2011 03:01 PM

Riding To Music

Who here listens to music when they ride? And is it with earphones on an ipod or mp3, or out loud on a stereo?

Currently I only take lessons, but once I get a horse of my own soon, I think it'd be helpful to listen to music when I ride alone. Music is my muse. I work better and faster, when I listen to music, especially when I'm drawing. I concentrate easier.

Also, does beats make it easier to ride? Like when posting or cantering to the beat?

Just curious :)
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelracer892 03-28-2011 03:12 PM

I rode with my iPod once. While nothing bad happened when I did and I would love to do it again occasionally, I won't. You can't hear your surroundings and if your iPod fell out of it's holder it could get stepped on or have some damage. Riding in an arena with a stereo would probably be a good idea though if you're trying to work on your rhythm and such.

Rhivia 03-28-2011 03:29 PM

I've never ridden with my ipod, although I would love to try it. My main concern is that I wouldn't be able to hear my surroundings, so I would probably only ride with one earbud in. I do think it could be beneficial to ride with the rhythm, in theory, at least, it could probably get a person to relax and loosen up.

At the last barn I boarded at, they had a boombox that I was going to use but it only played like two radio stations and that cd player was broken in it. My current barn has a sound system in the arena but I don't have control over it and it's usually turned down pretty low anyway. So, ipod is pretty much my only option. I might have to try it next time I ride! :)

MHFoundation Quarters 03-28-2011 04:54 PM

I always ride with music. Keeps me relaxed & focused. I have a sound system in my indoor and speakers in the outdoor as well. I spend most of my time on young training horses, so I won't ride with my ipod. Limits your sense of horse and surroundings. I do prefer it to the stereo system when cleaning stalls and doing work though except when I get caught singing out loud...

Tasia 03-28-2011 07:35 PM

I used to for about a week and then one day I forgot my ipod at home and I noticed my riding was considerbly worse. It took a while to fix the mistakes I had made.

QuarterMileRun 03-29-2011 04:59 PM

I do regularly! I find, if you know what your doing, it can improve your focus. Like I ride barrels, dressage and jumping with the radio playing loud or an ipod on my waist!

HopalongCassidy 03-29-2011 05:22 PM

I tried but didn't like it. I love the sound of my horse. If i can't hear him it kinda gets me worried.

Jessskater 03-30-2011 09:41 PM

I have never done it but I will try it next time I ride :)

BarrelracingArabian 03-30-2011 10:05 PM

i do it helps me get a rythm some times and keeps me focused on what im doing but i dont ever have it so loud to where i cant hear stuff around me just loud enough to hear it

touchofsleep 03-31-2011 08:58 PM

Haven't done it because I usually ride with people, but I would love to try... I think it would keep me more calm and focused