The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Appropriate Bit Suggestion (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/appropriate-bit-suggestion-82282/)

Tokoneki 03-28-2011 07:54 PM

Appropriate Bit Suggestion

Hey guys. Long story short, recently took ownership of a (now mine) horse, Scarlet :) Her previous owners always used a Mullen Mouth Eggbutt bit on her, and when I bought her all new tack, I figured I'd stick with what she's used to.

She also rides well in a rope halter, without the use of a bit (as I recently discovered.) So I've been considering changing her to a bit-less bridle or something similar, like maybe just the rope halter. She listens well 99% of the time and is easy to stop, however, once I get her excited after doing some running around with her, she gets a little difficult to stop and pulls through the bit and she just wants to run run run---and I stop her using soft hands while also being firm and a lot of patience :)

Any suggestions here? Should I change her bit to reinforce her "whoa" and re-train her on stopping with a stronger bit--she was allowed the bad habit of walking off as you mount and not standing for very long (a habit I'm currently trying to break.)

So should I change her bit and reinforce her stopping then once that's down packed, change to a bit-less system? And which one? Any help/input is very appreciated <3

Thanks! (Btw, she's 18 and a gaited horse--if relevant.)

Northern 03-28-2011 08:00 PM

I'd take her to a snaffle for re-education, but would do arena work in knotted halter, like teaching her not to walk off when you mount, plus groundwork in the halter, first.

Tokoneki 03-28-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern (Post 978040)
I'd take her to a snaffle for re-education, but would do arena work in knotted halter, like teaching her not to walk off when you mount, plus groundwork in the halter, first.

Thanks! Any type of snaffle, specifically?