The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What color are my mares? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-color-my-mares-82321/)

Tejas 03-29-2011 09:33 AM

What color are my mares?

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/girls-82094/

(The paint filly has a dorsal stripe down her back that is very prominent. I will post a pic of that later)

apachewhitesox 03-29-2011 09:54 AM

I'm not a big help with colour sorry but I just want to say they are both gorgeous and I love the blue eyes!!

RubaiyateBandit 03-29-2011 09:59 AM

Fiona looks buckskin or yellow dun to me. I can't remember if Buckskin had a dorsal stripe or not -- I'm thinking that was just dun.
Not sure about Misty. I almost wanna say Grulla, but don't quote me on it.

Jacksmama 03-29-2011 10:34 AM

Do either of them have barring on their legs? For Dun there is typically webbing on the forehead as well as a very distinct dorsal stripe. I can see where one might think Misty is a Grulla, but I am not so sure. The lighter coloring on her face gives me pause.

New_image 03-29-2011 10:35 AM

If Fiona has a dorsal stripe she is dun, otherwise buckskin pinto. (LOVE the white "knee pads" she is wearing)
I would call Misty a smutty buckskin. Unless she is young and greying out from buckskin then she is a grey.

Edit to say: Other pictures of the paint show her dorsal stripe, I would consider her a dun.

Chiilaa 03-29-2011 10:39 AM

What lovely mares :)

Misty looks like a beautiful example of a smokey brown to me. This is similar to a buckskin, but instead of cream acting on a bay coat, it is acting on a brown coat.

Fiona is a bay based dun if you ask me. If she does indeed have a dorsal stripe, she has the face darkening, the stripes on her legs and the barring on her shoulders/withers. Classic example :)

Jacksmama 03-29-2011 10:47 AM

The thing is, a dorsal stripe doesn't automatically mean they're dun. True, to my knowledge ALL duns have a dorsal stripe, but they don't have to be dun to have one. Jack is bay as can be and gets a "counter shading" dorsal stripe, as does the silver bay I show and she has been tested.

Tejas 03-29-2011 11:18 AM

I'm not a big help with colour sorry but I just want to say they are both gorgeous and I love the blue eyes!!

Thank you! I am partial to those eyes as well. 

Fiona looks buckskin or yellow dun to me. I can't remember if Buckskin had a dorsal stripe or not -- I'm thinking that was just dun.
Not sure about Misty. I almost wanna say Grulla, but don't quote me on it.

Iíve been told that she is a dun overo, and nobody knows what color Misty is. Although we do know she is an appaloosa horse. 

Do either of them have barring on their legs? For Dun there is typically webbing on the forehead as well as a very distinct dorsal stripe. I can see where one might think Misty is a Grulla, but I am not so sure. The lighter coloring on her face gives me pause.

I havenít really been able to tell with the winter coat in the way on those fuzzy legs. I will have an answer for that when they are sleek and shiny I suppose  . Weíve always called her a buckskin .

If Fiona has a dorsal stripe she is dun, otherwise buckskin pinto. (LOVE the white "knee pads" she is wearing)
I would call Misty a smutty buckskin. Unless she is young and greying out from buckskin then she is a grey.

Edit to say: Other pictures of the paint show her dorsal stripe, I would consider her a dun.

Her knee pads are adorable to me too! She def. has a dorsal stripe that is very dark, however the farrier mentioned that it may fade with age. Iíve never heard of a smutty buckskin! I will google it.

What lovely mares :)

Misty looks like a beautiful example of a smokey brown to me. This is similar to a buckskin, but instead of cream acting on a bay coat, it is acting on a brown coat.

Fiona is a bay based dun if you ask me. If she does indeed have a dorsal stripe, she has the face darkening, the stripes on her legs and the barring on her shoulders/withers. Classic example :)

Thank you! I will google smokey brown too!  Both of my girls seem pretty unique then I suppose! 

The thing is, a dorsal stripe doesn't automatically mean they're dun. True, to my knowledge ALL duns have a dorsal stripe, but they don't have to be dun to have one. Jack is bay as can be and gets a "counter shading" dorsal stripe, as does the silver bay I show and she has been tested.

Good to know! Thanks! Im hoping to take everyones advice and make a round about decision on what color she is.

RubaiyateBandit 03-29-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksmama (Post 978646)

That's true. Dio's dam was buckskin, but she had a dorsal stripe. I think, Dio (a bay) has a bit of one, too.

I looked this up out of curiosity. Pretty informational if you're interested in the genetic side, but basically it boils down to AQHA saying dorsal stripe = dun, no dorsal stripe = buckskin. Dun vs. Buckskin

Chiilaa 03-29-2011 08:44 PM

The dun mare shows other Dun Factor markings - she has the cobwebbing on her face, the darkening on her shoulders and the barring on her legs. If she has a dorsal stripe, that rounds out everything she needs. Countershading usually only gives a few characteristics, she has all of them.