The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Color of a horses tail age or genetics? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/color-horses-tail-age-genetics-82396/)

Ladybug2001 03-29-2011 08:52 PM

Color of a horses tail age or genetics?

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if this is the right place to put it but I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it.

I have a chestnut grade mare whom is 17 years of age. I noticed today while I was working on her tail that she has many colors. Would you think that to be a sign of age seem how she has grey, black, dark brown, or would it be something in her genetics?

Attachment 59553

NdAppy 03-29-2011 09:31 PM

That is pretty normal. A lot of horses have different colors in their manes and tails. Heck if you looked at your own hair or at someone else's (with undyed hair) you will see multiple colors. :-)

Ladybug2001 03-29-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 979463)
That is pretty normal. A lot of horses have different colors in their manes and tails. Heck if you looked at your own hair or at someone else's (with undyed hair) you will see multiple colors. :-)

That is true. o: Never though of that seem how my mare has a lot of white on her fur though she isn't a roan. Its like she is graying out like old people do. Haha.

Poseidon 03-30-2011 12:51 AM

She might have rabicano or sabino that's causing the white. Many chestnuts just have white hairs mixed in all over the place that you can't see until you get close anyway.

But I agree: It's just her tail. It's very pretty with all those colours though.

Ladybug2001 03-30-2011 11:12 PM

Hmm, that is interesting. I just happened to notice it the other day, it caught my attention. She has lots of white but like said, you can't see it unless you are closer.