The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Your thoughts on just a saddle blanket? (western) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/your-thoughts-just-saddle-blanket-western-82408/)

Clair 03-29-2011 10:49 PM

Your thoughts on just a saddle blanket? (western)

Is it okay for my horse to have just a nice thick super tough Mayatex saddle blanket under his saddle? (Instead of a pad)

So I got to order a custom hr reining saddle for my birthday.. (yay!) We almost HAD to custom order one because Keltys back is so short... The saddle is only 23" long for him! No wonder he's so comfy..

Anyways I tore my hair out looking for a 30 x 30 quality square saddle pad with turquoise (color is non negotiable. I am set on turquoise)

and then I found a beeeeaaautiful turquoise and black with metallic silver heavy mayatex blanket like 31 x 32 in a tack shop... So I bought it.

Is it safe for him to be ridden with just the blanket under the saddle?

Please weigh in :)
Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

JustDressageIt 03-29-2011 10:53 PM

How about buying a thin (half inch or less, in thickness) felt pad?

Clair 03-29-2011 11:04 PM

Oh that didn't even occur to me! Thanks ill see if I can find one small enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

luvs2ride1979 03-29-2011 11:31 PM

No. Modern western saddles use synthetic fleece lining, which does not provide your horse's back any protection from the hard tree of the saddle. You should use some kind of pad under it, 3/8" thick to 3/4" thick, depending on the fit of your saddle. Something like one of these:

1/2"5 Star Horse Contour Wool Felt Saddle Pad,30x28 Nat | eBay
3/8'' Wool Felt Liner Pad Diamond Wool Saddle Pad Comp (Equine - Supplies Tack - Saddle Accessories
Contour Underpad (Equine - Supplies Tack - Saddle Accessories - Pads)
Underpad (Equine - Supplies Tack - Saddle Accessories - Pads)
ThinLine Western Liner
ThinLine Western 6mm Felt Liner

Poseidon 03-30-2011 03:31 AM

I agree with Luvs. Western saddles don't provide enough padding themselves. You could also just put a pad in the middle of the blanket. I know of people who do that so they don't get the pad dirty or because blankets are cheaper to have a pile of and switch out for shows rather than have a big pile of different blankets. Kind of like having different pillow cases for your pillow.

Clair 03-30-2011 02:45 PM

You said "depending on the fit of your saddle" Luvsride1979. The saddle is custom fit to his back.
That's why I was hoping to get away with just a blanket.

Poseidon- I think I might try that (if I can find a reasonably priced pad that's small enough :\)
Posted via Mobile Device

iridehorses 03-30-2011 03:06 PM

Regardless, I would still put on at least a 1/2" wool pad. The saddle may be perfect for his back but keep in mind that his back will change with work (or the lack of it). You have to consider the concussion of a rider as well.

luvs2ride1979 03-30-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clair (Post 980260)
You said "depending on the fit of your saddle" Luvsride1979. The saddle is custom fit to his back.
That's why I was hoping to get away with just a blanket.

Poseidon- I think I might try that (if I can find a reasonably priced pad that's small enough :\)
Posted via Mobile Device

Then you could get away with the thinner liner pads, 3/8" to 1/2". A Supracor CoolGrip western pad would be a great shock absorbing pad to user underneath, without a lot of bulk. They're very easy to clean too, just hose off, and they keep the horse's back cool, unlike neoprene or other closed cell foam pads.

Clair 03-30-2011 08:12 PM

Hosing off sounds fantastic... I will definitely check out that brand. Thank you guys for being so helpful!
Posted via Mobile Device

RodeoLoco 03-31-2011 03:27 PM

I ride with a thin little blanket under my horses saddle. She loves it. Actually, it's the only blanket I can get near her. Here is a picture:
http://i52.tinypic.com/15i56co.jpg
I folded it in half, because it's so darn long. So, folded, its about an inch thick.