The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Chicks. (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/chicks-8243/)

Abby 04-24-2008 05:52 PM

Chicks.

We bought four chicks. They are all hens. I don't know what breed because the tub we bought them from said "ASSORTED CHICKS. FEMALE"

I can't wait to have Chicken Noodle Soup. They're adorable though. :)

PoptartShop 04-24-2008 05:59 PM

Aww they must be soo cute! Congrats. :)
You MUST post piccies. :P

Vidaloco 04-24-2008 06:08 PM

I've bought dozens of chicks that were suppose to be all hens. Usually at least 1-2 will be roosters so don't be upset if one starts crowing. Its very difficult to determine sex in chicks :lol: Are you going to butcher them?

My2Geldings 04-24-2008 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco
I've bought dozens of chicks that were suppose to be all hens. Usually at least 1-2 will be roosters so don't be upset if one starts crowing. Its very difficult to determine sex in chicks :lol: Are you going to butcher them?

Butcher? what an evil word...

KANSAS_TWISTER 04-24-2008 10:37 PM

oh trust me that's not a evil word!!! i'd like to butcher old goerge next store, he's a senile old roster that will crow starting around lunch time and in to the night and stop around 4 a.m, 7 days aweek!!! i'd like to have him to chicken soup

Dumas'_Grrrl 04-25-2008 01:59 AM

Ohh Abby, You are gonna have a blast... I adore the little baby chicks! They are so little and fuzzy, I also really dig the way they peep...its not a chirp yet! lol

We got the kids 4 chicks at easter and last yr we bought 25 hens. I can't wait till next spring when we get to buy 25 more to replace out hens that we have now!

I can't believe how much better farm fresh eggs and chickens taste than that from the store... Its been great!

FYI- roosters don't only crow in the morning... they will do it all day long.

KANSAS_TWISTER 04-25-2008 02:17 AM

mmmmmm farm fresh eggs!!! i get about 3 doz a week from a friend of ours!!!! goerge has a set of lungs!! we can't sleep with the window open because it sounds like goerge is in bed with us, we almost once inherated him , ( i had chickens for a while) but got out of that one

Dumas'_Grrrl 04-25-2008 02:26 AM

You should offer George a good home....in your fryin pan! :twisted:

Abby 04-26-2008 08:46 PM

We are going to butcher two. I hope there isn't any roosters, there are already three at the barn and only a few hens as it is, haha. They have about two more weeks before they can leave our basement. I'll post piccies up shortly, I got to get the camera from my mom and she took it to work so. :roll:

Its hard to think about eating them when I look at their cute little peeping faces and itty bitty wings and toes.

FGRanch 04-26-2008 10:18 PM

I'm such a bleeding soul, I could never butcher or eat anything that I raised! I bottle fed cows once and one of them ended up getting her hoof ripped off (and I still didn't eat her, I have her to our neighbor to eat) and the other stayed around till she was 5 and then I trader her for a horse! Good deal! :D