The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Eventing Saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/eventing-saddles-82462/)

livestoride 03-30-2011 03:24 PM

Eventing Saddles

Hello! I am new here. I am just dying to get into eventing, but highly doubt it will happen for several years. My current riding level and that of my horse is just not up to par quite yet and I don't have access to a trainer where I live. The closest one is 3 hours away and won't travel to me and I don't have the right equipment or the time to travel to her. I won't do it until I know we will both safely enjoy it, so for now it is just dreaming. I only jump maybe 30% total out of a month of riding with the other 70% being flatwork.

I am looking for a new saddle though. I have a synthetic Wintec AP which was what I could afford when I bought her, but isn;t that cmfortable. I would like a nicer saddle, but with everything out there and being the only english person at my barn (everyone else trail rides western) I feel lost. I don't know what I should be looking for. Any basic tips? I was given the suggestion to get some type of jumping saddle b/c I can use that for dressage but not really the case the other way. Is a saddle marked "eventing" an All Purpose? What are the most basic things to look for in a saddle? I know it is a lot of personal fit and comfort, but I am at a loss and don't want to spend all my time on saddles that are obviously wrong for what I want to do. Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

eventerdrew 03-30-2011 03:39 PM

An eventing saddle is essentially an All Purpose. Most "eventing" saddles have an emphasis on the jumping side (forward flaps, lower cantle) but is nevertheless still an AP.

First thing I look for is seat size and tree size. Make sure it would fit you. Flap length is also important as the size of the flaps can be made for longer or shorter legged riders.

Second, saddle fit for your horse. I will not buy a saddle that does not fit my horse. Even if I love it! Perhaps MIEventer can help you with the tree shapes.

MIEventer 03-30-2011 03:46 PM

My suggestion, is to hire a Professional Saddle Maker/Fitter to come out to your barnf to help you.

Express your concerns on the phone, let them know where you are and what you are doing riding wise and let them know your goals and wants. Talk about your horse and etc,etc - after that, a good one should come out to your barn, with a truck full of saddles, their tools and knowledge to help you on your path.

When I hired the Professional who came out to me, did just this. Got their tools out, measured Nelson, examined his back, and then started to put saddles on. When he found a great fit for him, he then had me ride in it - to watch. He watched how I rode and how I was positioned in it, how Nelson moved and how he worked with it on his back. The process continued from there until we found a great match for the both of us.

What brand, model, make of sadde works for one horse/rider combination, may not work for you. So instead of recieving tons of suggestions, cause you'll get a variety of answers - gave someone come to you in person to work with you 1 on 1.

A good saddler will cost anywhere bewtween $75 - $100+.

All the best to you!