The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Cant Canter! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/cant-canter-82485/)

JamieLeighx 03-30-2011 05:41 PM

Cant Canter!

Im sure lots of other people have asked help about this is well lol . I cant canter at all ! i bounce all over the place , Betty the horse i ride is so smooth but my butt just wont stay in the saddle! anything i can do ? tips?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ray MacDonald 03-30-2011 05:43 PM

Practice. And make sure your heels are down, legs long and rock your hips to move with the horse. Would happen to have a video or pictures to see if there is a specific problem?

JamieLeighx 03-30-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald (Post 980478)
Practice. And make sure your heels are down, legs long and rock your hips to move with the horse. Would happen to have a video or pictures to see if there is a specific problem?

Thanx , nope im camera shy :) it was my first time cantering in years so im a bit rusty .
Posted via Mobile Device

donovan 03-30-2011 06:16 PM

try maby gripping with your legs more
Posted via Mobile Device

Hidalgo13 03-30-2011 06:38 PM

It took me a while to get it, but to figure it out, what helped me was this:
My trainer told me to sit and lean back. It doesn't matter if you're not strait at first when you are learning, once you "get it" you work on looking nice and everything.
So basically lean backward and try to roll your hips with the movement of the horse. (Easier said then done, I know, but with time you'll figure it out) Leaning back helps, because you pretty much get the feel of the horse's movement much more easily.
Also make sure you legs are at the girth and not too far back because it really helps when they are stable and in the right position.

I hope this helped! If you have more questions just ask! :)

Rachel1786 03-30-2011 06:50 PM

I'm having a problem with the canter also, i rode western since i was 12, then took some time off ridding when i was 21 and got pregnant, didn't ride till last year, and now(at 25) i decided to start ridding english and i just can't seem to get the canter in the small english saddle lol, i feel like i'm going to fly right off the horses back, I really tired to canter in my lesson yesterday but Molly my lesson horse just kept trotting faster and faster, i think she could feel my apprehension lol although that super fast trot was no picnic either lol

Jessskater 03-30-2011 07:06 PM

I make a scooping action with my hips,heels down and just focus. Not sure how else to explain it..

Ray MacDonald 03-31-2011 03:00 PM

Grip with your calves, NOT with your knees :)

RodeoLoco 03-31-2011 03:11 PM

If its just pleasure riding, I just go with the horse, lean forward a bit and sort of "become one" with the horse, let your body move with the animal under you.

TheLastUnicorn 03-31-2011 04:05 PM

How is your overall core strength?

I actually try to recommend NOT gripping with your legs - just try to sink into your heels while using your core and seat to stay with your horse. You don't want to be "holding" onto your horse with your legs - it can confuse them and cause them to quicken the gait rather than relaxing into an even rhythm and tempo.

Maybe spend some time off the horse to practice some core strengthening exercises (yoga, pilates etc.) As your core gets stronger your balance will get better and you will "bounce" less as you ride.