The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   eating poop? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/eating-poop-82489/)

Rachel1786 03-30-2011 06:34 PM

eating poop?

Today as i was walking dogs at the kennel I looked over towards the horses(as i do pretty much every walk just to see what they are up to) and I see Legacy eating something not where i put the hay down, so i get closer and he is eating a pile of poop! now i have heard of dogs eating poop and that it's usually a vitamin deficiency, but with horses? I have no clue. Is this something i should be worried about? or is it somewhat normal? I've never seen any of the horses i've had eat poop before, and this is the first time i've seen him eat any, but it's possible he's been doing it for a while and i've just never caught him in the dirty dirty act lol

AQHA13 03-30-2011 06:39 PM

Subscribing. I too, for the first time saw my mare eat a little manure today...

JustDressageIt 03-30-2011 07:14 PM

Same type of deal - something is lacking in the horse's diet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Left Hand Percherons 03-30-2011 07:15 PM

Quite common practice. Horses will do it to repopulate their digestive system with bacteria (natural probiotic), they're bored or their hungry. It can also be a mineral deficiency.

Rachel1786 03-30-2011 07:55 PM

I'm not sure what he could be lacking, He gets a scoop(about 2.5lbs) of triple crown senior, 1/2 scoop beet pulp, 1/2 scoop alfalfa pellets, between him and the 2 other horses and the donkey they average 1-2 bales of Timothy hay a day(if the weather is nice they only go through one) They also have a mineral block in the barn(this is open, they are out 24/7) He's a little bit chunky i only do the beet pulp and alfalfa because if i don't he will go steal the other horses food since he likes their better lol

Cherie 03-31-2011 08:08 AM

It is nature's own natural probiotic.

It can also be a sign that a horse is not getting enough fiber. Feeding more hay, preferably low quality very mature grass hay, helps horses get enough fiber when their 'good' feed is quite restricted.