The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Want to buy - Gelding Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/want-buy-gelding-conformation-critique-82617/)

SkyeDawn 03-31-2011 06:57 PM

Want to buy - Gelding Conformation Critique

5 Attachment(s)
He is a 7 year old quarter horse (gelding) mostly used to work with cattle. I'd mostly be using him for trail riding. He's been a pasture puff all winter and he's filthy lol, so please excuse that. And he's still very fuzzy. :) He has a horribly rough trot. Is that from conformation or being out of shape? Or maybe because his hooves need very badly to be trimmed?

How does his weight look to you? He looks a little fat to me but maybe he's a decent weight? Just out of shape?

Also, what is his build like for any kind of eventing? Thank you so much for any of your help. I'm horrible when it comes to conformation. :) If needed I can get a video of him moving and some more pictures. Thanks again!

-Skye

Btw they are asking $1500 for him. Is this about right?

Also! The last one is because I'm curious, what color would you call him?

Meant to add he's about 14.3 or 15.0 hands

tinyliny 03-31-2011 07:02 PM

There's nothing obvious that tells me why he should have a rough trot. He has a long back and a low set on neck and a generally "course" look about him, but there is nothing wrong with his conformation. His front feet look long and low in the heels. I don't know what prices are like in your area, so c'ant say if the price is good. If he is not well trained, I would say it's overpriced. If well trained, then perhaps fair.

SkyeDawn 03-31-2011 07:08 PM

Yeah he's had a ton of training :) The guy selling him said he would never let him go for less than $5000 because of what he's put into him. He's been sent out for training yearly. But that could also be talk (the $5000).

Deerly 03-31-2011 10:05 PM

$5,000? No. $1,500 if he's trained and sound? Sure, that sounds fair :)

I cannot recommend doing a full lameness pre-purchase enough! Why was he being a pasture puff? Having a vet come out and evaluate the "rough trot" might help a lot too -- something may be wrong there.

He's cute though! The color is chestnut/sorrel.

Clair 03-31-2011 10:07 PM

He is a chestnut. :) As for the trot.. I sympathize. It may be he just needs to carry himself correctly, which was the problem with my QH gelding! But we got it all worked out now.
I think he looks a healthy weight, and working will help if he needs to lose a little. I wouldn't bring his food down drastically at the same time you begin working him. (If you buy him)

I got ripped off on my gelding. He was 4, green as grass, and had been abused. We paid 1800 for him. But he is registered and I adore him... I'd pay it all over to keep him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skipsfirstspike 03-31-2011 10:27 PM

His legs look a bit short too me, but otherwise I like him for a trail horse. I don't think he is fat, I think his weight is good. He's got a nice bum! :)

Xela 03-31-2011 10:35 PM

I wouldn't pay more than $300 for him. Is he registered? He's been off all winter, I would also get a FULL PPE on him as well...

apachiedragon 03-31-2011 10:54 PM

He's cute, and if he checks out sound, (I agree with PPE if AT ALL possible) I could see the $1500 if he's well trained and safe. I might would offer $1000 though, and see if they'd come down.

One thing though, and it may just be the picture. I can't tell. Something about his front left hoof in the second picture looks really abnormal to me, almost winged out the side. And since I couldn't see it to compare in the other photos, I thought I'd ask. It could very well just be my eyes...

RodeoLoco 03-31-2011 11:04 PM

He is gorgeous. I say take him. I don't see any problems, other than long feet. If he is well trained, he is worth the whole 1500$. :-)

SkyeDawn 04-04-2011 04:45 PM

Thanks for all the input so far everyone! I decided to buy him :)

I know he was used a lot with cows and team penning, but I don't know how well he did. Do any of you think he looks like he would do alright in any kind of western stuff like barrel racing? Conformation wise, I mean.

Deerly - he was a pasture puff this winter because his previous owners don't ride in the winter. Any of their horses, not just him. They used to be into eventing a lot more but don't do it often now.

Xela - yep, he's registered.

apachiedragon - I think it's just the picture but I'll get another picture of his feet when I get a chance. They are a little oddly shaped, though.

As for the rough trot, I'll get a video up for you guys when I go to see him tomorrow. Also getting his feet trimmed ASAP!