The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Common colorings?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  apachewhitesox 
#1 ·
I've been chatting with my horse girlfriends and have been told two different things.... Red roans are common.... Red roans are not common. I've tried researching with no luck. The genetics of horse coloring is a bit over my head. Ha! Personally I looove roans. Especially blue roans. I think my girl is flashy even if Shes a common color. So I'm just plain curious.
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
Sorrel and Bay are the most common horse colours overall, but specific breeds have their own common colours. Like Nokotas are most commonly blue roans. Roans aren't uncommon but they certainly aren't everywhere. I personally don't think I've ever seen a roan in person. Like

#4 ·
The roan gene does not exist in many breeds. So in that respect, it is a "rare" colour compared to, say, chestnut or bay. Not so rare in the QH world, though. All you need in order to get a horse with your mare's pretty colouring is for both parents to pass down a recessive Extension gene (ee) & for one parent to pass down a Roan gene.

#5 ·
"The roan gene does not exist in many breeds. So in that respect, it is a "rare" colour compared to, say, chestnut or bay. Not so rare in the QH world, though."

Thank you, that makes sense. One friend is big into western pleasure and said it was a common coloring... The other is into English and said is rare! They are both right!
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
Just thought I would say

The most common colour around my area is either chestnut or dark brown. Though if you go to a breeder down the road all of their horses are either palominos, appys, buckskins or cremelo (i think).
I've only ever seen a roan horse in person once and that was with an old friend whose step father bred aussie stock horses and about 5 out a herd of 30 were red roan they were beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.