The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How old should a horse be to carry 50lbs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-old-should-horse-carry-50lbs-82694/)

RusticWildFire 04-01-2011 03:28 PM

How old should a horse be to carry 50lbs?
 
My friend just asked me this question, and I have no idea how to answer. I have no experience with horses younger than 2, almost 3 and I had always just heard don't ride until they're 2 and even then only lightly until they're better developed, blah blah blah, things of the sort.

So, I told her I'd ask my friends at the HF!

She acquired a filly and has been in the process of desensitizing her. She is about 7 months now. She is so impressed with her progress and how calm and tolerant she is that she put her granddaughter over the fillys back (while holding her to support her weight the whole time, and for safety too) and she did perfectly. Didn't bother her at all. Her granddaughter is about 4. She is wondering if next summer, when the horse is about to turn 2 and her granddaughter is 5- June, July-ish... if it would be safe for the horse to put her granddaughter on her in walk - trot lead games?? She's most concerned about if the horse would be safe carrying less than 50lbs

Thanks all!

Speed Racer 04-01-2011 03:35 PM

At 7 m/os that filly doesn't need any weight on her back, regardless of how light this woman's granddaughter is. That's like asking a human toddler to carry a 25 lb. backpack.

Tell her to wait until the filly is old enough to actually put under saddle.

SAsamone 04-01-2011 03:36 PM

depends on how their built....if the horse is stocky and looks like a horse and not a baby, I start sacking them out with weight. If they still have a baby frame, I wouldn't do it. All horses mature differently and you don't want to risk stunting them at the very least, if not affect their joints and ligements for life. You're not supposed to really ride them until they are 2-3 though. Some even wait longer....5-7. Depends on the discipline too. Jumpers are usually started later than western/trail horses, at least around my area.

RusticWildFire 04-01-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 982764)
At 7 m/os that filly doesn't need any weight on her back, regardless of how light this woman's granddaughter is. That's like asking a human toddler to carry a 25 lb. backpack.

Tell her to wait until the filly is old enough to actually put under saddle.

That was my initial reaction as well. But as I said, I don't have enough experience to be able to give her good advice so I told her about this place and said I'd ask as there are many much much more experienced people than I am.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAsamone (Post 982766)
depends on how their built....if the horse is stocky and looks like a horse and not a baby, I start sacking them out with weight. If they still have a baby frame, I wouldn't do it. All horses mature differently and you don't want to risk stunting them at the very least, if not affect their joints and ligements for life. You're not supposed to really ride them until they are 2-3 though. Some even wait longer....5-7. Depends on the discipline too. Jumpers are usually started later than western/trail horses, at least around my area.


Good advice! Thank you.
She did assure me there would be no cantering or jumping. :?

Xela 04-01-2011 04:04 PM

I wouldn't put anything more than a blanket on a horse under 18months... Around the 18 month - 2 year period I would start putting a saddle on and personally not much weight or lots of weight till 3...

equus717 04-01-2011 05:08 PM

It depends but I wouldn't advice putting weight on the filly at this time. She needs time to grow and just be a baby. I have a yearling and the most I put on her back is my saddle pad right now. When she is closer to 20 months then I will put my saddle on her. Then when she is 26 months old then I will mount her for the first time.

jess93 04-01-2011 05:14 PM

We broke one of ours at 18 month pefectly fine hacked out a few times walk n abit of trot about 1nce every over week give or take. He is now 3 and walk trots and canters under saddle doesn't get ridden ofton tho
Posted via Mobile Device

SAsamone 04-01-2011 05:29 PM

I broke a filly at under a year and went on small trail rides with her, but she was VERY stout, and just under 14hh, which was how big she was supposed to be. She is now a little boy's first horse, and he rides her and loves her to death! Cute couple :) I wouldn't do it, as I said though, to a tall, gangly yearling who wasn't done growing.

Endiku 04-01-2011 05:58 PM

I definately would advise her not to, no matter how husky the filly appears. her joints won't be closed at that age, and her bones will still be rather soft. Not to mention that in order for the granddaughter (who would be 40-50 pounds) would have to have a saddle, and even and english saddle weighs about 10 pounds. Western saddles weigh more like 20. That would mean atleast sixty pounds of weight on a very young back. It could be disasterous. Not to mention that this is a FIVE year old that this lady is talking about putting on an unbroken filly. Even if the animal is the tamest filly to walk the planet, there is SO much risk in that. It wouldn't be a good idea. Most likely this five year old doesn't know how to ride, much less sit a buck or a bolt. She probably doesnt even know how to emergency dismount! And think about how badly it would turn out of the grandaughter DID get hurt, and she was afraid of horses for the rest of her life! Especially with trotting, the filly might get too excited and take off - not meaning to hurt anyone, but just being a filly. No, its better to just introduce her to a saddle at that young of an age ( really, I wouldnt even do that at less than two.) and just spend time on ground manners, responding to pressure, etc. THEN when the filly is old enough, be started by an ADULT. I'm assuming this lady knows how to ride well? I sure hope so, because breaking a horse is no easy task. Especially for a beginner.

Xela 04-01-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAsamone (Post 982938)
I broke a filly at under a year and went on small trail rides with her, but she was VERY stout, and just under 14hh, which was how big she was supposed to be. She is now a little boy's first horse, and he rides her and loves her to death! Cute couple :) I wouldn't do it, as I said though, to a tall, gangly yearling who wasn't done growing.

PLEASE tell me you are joking? You broke a filly who was under a year old?????


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0