The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Stories and Poems (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-stories-poems/)
-   -   Stories Please!! Weirdest Things They Eat!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-stories-poems/stories-please-weirdest-things-they-eat-82704/)

SAsamone 04-01-2011 04:26 PM

Stories Please!! Weirdest Things They Eat!!

So, I was out giving carrots to my horses, and remembered I had dog treats inside. Don't ask why I thought they would eat them, but I tried it, and they loved them!! You know, the little Ol' Roy milk bone-type things. Anyway, now I have them in my tack room so when I untack, that can be their treat instead of running into the house to grab a carrot. So, it made me wonder, who else has seen or given their horses weird stuff to eat?

(My Emma will also eat hamburgers lol.)

Let's hear 'em:D

P.S-sorry if this is in the wrong place :oops:

Jessskater 04-02-2011 06:08 PM

I give my horses guinea pig pellets as a treat. Sometimes they like to eat a few cat/dog biscuits. :D

SAsamone 04-02-2011 07:39 PM

Haha cute!!
You know, I was looking at the back of the bag, and you know dog biscuits, like milk bones, mostly have alfalfa, bran, wheat, etc...i guess i kind of understood the last two, but alfalfa? No wonder they liked them lol. I wonder if guinea pig pellets are the same way?

Jessskater 04-02-2011 11:51 PM

Alfalfa in dog food? Wow. I just checked and Guinea pig pellets are mainly Alfalfa. Not sure what else but my horseys love them anyway.

jwells84 04-04-2011 04:09 PM

I had a friend who horse like hot dogs! and my husbands old horse liked honeybuns.... and then there was my buckskin mare(i sold) who liked chewing tobacco!!! she didn't get it very often though.lol... it was an accident that we found out she liked it. she was bugging my husband and he decided that he give her a hard time, and gave her a bit of chew, and after that he couldn't come in the barn w/o her tring to get in his back pockets.lol. she was/is a weird horse she also likes/liked cat tails( the real ones with the cat attached.lol..) she picked up a kitten one time by it's tail, then got all upset because the kitten got "stuck' on her nose. it clawed her up pretty good. but she still didn't stop messing with them.

SAsamone 04-04-2011 05:38 PM

Rofl!!!!! ^^^

Baylee 04-23-2011 11:47 AM

My mom's old horse used to eat bread- When we first got him,i would feed him PB&Js and later started trying different things. I found out he liked eating smores, baccon,lifesavers,jellybeans and a whole lot more haha!! He ate almost everything xD

Heatherloveslottie 04-23-2011 11:51 AM

aha, Tazz absolutely loves fruit ice lollies, its nice to give him one to cool down in the summer! He also has smoothies and any type of fruit.

He tries (and fails) to eat/nibble everything, ranging from buckets, straw hats, sweat scrapers, curry combs, tops, buckles on wellies and even Lottie's tail :D

jyuukai 04-23-2011 12:47 PM

I saw a horse eat chicken nuggets o.o I do not reccomend ever giving your horse chicken nuggets but this girl fed them to her arab after shows. Ick.
My first horse, a buckskin QH mare, loved nacho cheese doritos. I had them after a pony party that I helped at one day. I was chased by the pot bellied pig into my mares stall, and while I was closing the door my mare ATE THE ENTIRE PLATE OF DORITOS ;-;

Fluffy Pony 04-25-2011 02:29 PM

About the tobacco story. I remember an old man telling me that back in the old days they used to feed tobacco to deworm their horses lol.
Posted via Mobile Device