The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   A question on supplementing. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/question-supplementing-82719/)

ohmyitschelle 04-01-2011 07:46 PM

A question on supplementing.

I have a mare who is very obese and is being monitored with what she eats. At the moment it's just gone into autumn here and Honey is getting just grass and a slither of hay to help her with her weight loss. She is sore presently so I cannot ride the weight off of her.

I'm normally a person who hard feeds to ensure my horses get their supplements. I usually feed magnesium, seaweed meal, and garlic namely over winter, as well as hay. However I'm down to the one horse, who has presently not been getting her supplements as I'm not hard feeding her.

I'm just a little curious how I can administer her supplements this winter. I know she will not need daily hard feeding, and will do well on just hay all winter as shes an incredibly good doer (the type who inhales the smell of spring grass and gains 5 kgs :lol: ) I am aware I can add her selenium dose to her water, but I'm not so sure how to feed the powdered supplements to her without being added with chaff.

Is it possible to?

Thanks in advance :)

Rachel1786 04-01-2011 08:24 PM

I'm in the USA so I'm not sure what you can get where you are. But can you get grass hay pellets and just give her a cup of them to mix her supplements with?

ohmyitschelle 04-01-2011 08:39 PM

I should have mentioned in my message above that I have gotten her supply of hay for winter already. I was thinking of maybe a weekly feed (small) for her supplement dose - better than nothing, but then I'm most likely to waste the chaff as its only for one horse. Lol I've never normally had this problem because I don't usually have an obese horse going into winter and can happily hardfeed daily.

jwells84 04-06-2011 10:24 AM

I don't have any experiences with selenium,but I have heard that too much of that mineral can cause problems.... Just a heads up for you.

Maverick101 04-06-2011 11:23 PM

Is she good w being syringed, if so you could mix the supplements into a suspension, and give them to her orally.

I did this w one of my geldings, who wouldn't eat any of his feed if it even had a hint of medication or supplements in it.
I mixed his vit-mineral w apple juice, and he got a dose 2xday via syringe into his mouth. Worked great, and he loved it.

ohmyitschelle 04-07-2011 06:49 AM

Maverick! Love the idea, never thought of that! She is decent to syringe, so if it comes to that I might just start that! Have approached some feed/nutrition experts locally... and may have sorted something, but thats a brilliant idea!

JWells... I know that too much selenium is bad for horses. I use it by veterinary advice on how much dose and how often! Thanks for the concern :)

MHFoundation Quarters 04-07-2011 08:28 AM

You could add her supplements to a small amt of oats or beet pulp, little in the way of actual calories but will give her a "treat" to munch on in her eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device

jdw 04-07-2011 11:01 AM

That or applesauce~they love that too, and mine doesnt do well with the syringe. (He thinks they are all wormer!!)

ohmyitschelle 04-08-2011 01:13 AM

Thanks everyone for the handy hints!!

Super Nova 04-08-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmyitschelle (Post 983143)
I have a mare who is very obese and is being monitored with what she eats. At the moment it's just gone into autumn here and Honey is getting just grass and a slither of hay to help her with her weight loss. She is sore presently so I cannot ride the weight off of her.

I'm normally a person who hard feeds to ensure my horses get their supplements. I usually feed magnesium, seaweed meal, and garlic namely over winter, as well as hay. However I'm down to the one horse, who has presently not been getting her supplements as I'm not hard feeding her.

I'm just a little curious how I can administer her supplements this winter. I know she will not need daily hard feeding, and will do well on just hay all winter as shes an incredibly good doer (the type who inhales the smell of spring grass and gains 5 kgs :lol: ) I am aware I can add her selenium dose to her water, but I'm not so sure how to feed the powdered supplements to her without being added with chaff.

Is it possible to?

Thanks in advance :)

When you say sore are you talking about her feet?..........if so then absolutely no grass period..........I would be looking for a hay low in sugar and feeding her and feeding her only 2% of her body weight (likely to be about 20 to 25 lbs).......in 4 smaller meals a day.......as far as supplements go you can put them in a cup of wet beet pulp.........no grain, or grain subsitute either......just plain old hay.

Super Nova