The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   My horses pink muzzle skin is....dry and damaged (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/my-horses-pink-muzzle-skin-dry-82727/)

BlueEyedBeauty 04-01-2011 09:54 PM

My horses pink muzzle skin is....dry and damaged

http://i54.tinypic.com/jsgled.jpg

As you can see my horses muzzle area is all pink skin, and its very dry and even kind of wrinkly from what id guess is sun damage. I keep an extended nose fly mask on her almost always but that just is not enough defense. /:

I guess I'm asking two questions, one being: What can I do to repair this skin and bring that soft feeling back to her face? And two being what can I do to better protect it?

TKButtermilk 04-01-2011 10:51 PM

I put baby sunscreen on my mares pink nose, she HATES it but its for her own good. I also have an extended fly mask which I love, its awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device

mmpgrumpy 04-01-2011 11:01 PM

I second the sunscreen. If you can, keep her in the barn during the day and turn her out at night. If her coat fades, night turnout will help her to keep her color, too.

BlueEyedBeauty 04-01-2011 11:01 PM

Baby sun screen, That is really smart! how much and how
often do you put it on?

jwells84 04-01-2011 11:02 PM

you can put lotion on it.. and sunscreen works good too. TK good idea with the fly mask!

TKButtermilk 04-01-2011 11:03 PM

I would just put it on once or twice a day, depending on if I remember or not haha. I just use maybe a dime amount(aproximation) and rub it into her pink parts
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueEyedBeauty 04-01-2011 11:10 PM

Alright, I'll try this :D

myhorsesonador 04-01-2011 11:16 PM

Sonador has to be brought in during the day because she 2 has pink noes. The FL sun just bakes her. I've tried every thing.

Sun screen in theory is good but usualy as soon as they stick there noes in water and/or rub in on the ground it all comes off.

BlueEyedBeauty 04-01-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 983350)
Sonador has to be brought in during the day because she 2 has pink noes. The FL sun just bakes her. I've tried every thing.

Sun screen in theory is good but usualy as soon as they stick there noes in water and/or rub in on the ground it all comes off.

Yeah this is kind of what I'm expecting as well, although maybe I'll get lucky and find a nice really super water proof one and it might hold up.

The idea of keeping her up during the day I would like to be an absolute last resort because she's a very energetic mare and I hate the idea of keeping her cooped up in the barn all day when its just starting to be warm and nice outside. (it has been a longggg winter.)

candandy49 04-02-2011 06:45 AM

I've used Desitin Diaper Rash ointment or Zinc Oxide ointment for sunburnt noses and protect the nose from more sunburning. It is a very thick ointment so I stays on longer than sunscreen lotions. It is safe for use on horses noses. Life guards at swimming pools put it on their noses to prevent sunburn.