The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Western Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/western-riding-critique-82751/)

LittleFish 04-02-2011 09:20 AM

Western Riding Critique

Can anyone tell me what I can do to make my Western Riding go's look better and to get her changing better? Also, can you point out some mistakes that I made?

This was my first time EVER doing a Western Riding class, and I taught my horse how to change leads myself over the winter, so this was her first class too. This was the Youth Western Riding and it had 4 people in it, and we got 1st under all 4 judges!!! Yea!! But I want to do this class at Worlds, so I really need to get things perfect!

Any suggestions as to getting her to change softer and to go around with her head level instead of up in the air resisting the bit? Also, how were my lines, they looked a little crooked to me, any tips on how to do a straight line? lol

Special Thanks to anyone who takes the time to watch AND comment, lol

Oh, and how did you like the music?? haha

equus717 04-02-2011 09:28 AM

Honestly you both look good. You taught her well on her lead changes. She hit them with no hesitation. I would say just keep up the good work. Your lines looked good. Her head really wasn't that high from the video. If you want to teach her to bring it down some then what I do with my mare is to take my split reins one in each hand and put them at my knees and ride her in some circles first at the walk and then the trot. It builds the muscle up on their neck to help keep their head low. Only do it for small increments then bring your reins back together and see if she is keeping her head where it was when you rode two handed.

Tasia 04-03-2011 01:19 PM

Now thats a western riding class done right!
Just work on some half halting to encourage her to use her hind end there fore her back will round and then her head wil come down.

When you were going over that pole the first time at a jog it looked like you cued her to go one one way but then changed your mind. Just remember to think ahead!

tinyliny 04-03-2011 03:30 PM

Please do not ruin this fine horse by forcing her to carry her head in an unnatural position! YOu looked great. That horse moved so very nicely and well balanced and happy. Over time you can rate her canter a little with making your seat a little heavier and holding her with your body, but you have such a nice horse on an incredibley loose rein. I would love to be able to do what you did! Honestly! No complaining!

LittleFish 04-03-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasia (Post 984893)
Now thats a western riding class done right!
Just work on some half halting to encourage her to use her hind end there fore her back will round and then her head wil come down.

When you were going over that pole the first time at a jog it looked like you cued her to go one one way but then changed your mind. Just remember to think ahead!

Haha, Thanks!!
I will be sure to do that. Do you have an explanation of how to do a half-halt? lol, I don't know how to do that, but I would love to learn how!

And yes, she was going to start turning around the cone right after we went over the log and I had to correct her and get her back straight before we loped off. I Do have a problem of looking down instead of looking ahead to where I am going.
Thanks for the tips!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 984977)
Please do not ruin this fine horse by forcing her to carry her head in an unnatural position! YOu looked great. That horse moved so very nicely and well balanced and happy. Over time you can rate her canter a little with making your seat a little heavier and holding her with your body, but you have such a nice horse on an incredibley loose rein. I would love to be able to do what you did! Honestly! No complaining!

I don't force her to carry her head at her knees, but if you look when we first start loping, she is holding her head level, then when I ask her to change, she picks it up out of the bridle instead of coming back to my hand softly. In everything else she holds her head level, base of ears same hieght as the top of her wither, but when I go to change she comes up. I'm just wondering how to get her to stay the same, not go in an unnatural position.

This is where I would like her head to be when I'm changing, I'll take a few inches more up, but for sure nothing lower. (P.S: This vid does not do her justice loping, she is so much better now)

Thanks for you input, I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me what you are thinking!

DieselPony 04-03-2011 07:06 PM

Are you referring to the way she sort of bobs her head up after lead changes?
To me she looks really good, and you said you just taught the lead changes this past winter?

I've seen lots of horses that get a little "up" after lead changes that have been helped by slight half halts before and sometimes after the lead changes until they can balance themselves better.

You two look really good, and I think practice and maybe some half halt work will help.

Tasia 04-03-2011 07:18 PM

Half halt is like asking with your seat for the horse to collect you bump with your legs then ask for the head and overtime when you do this she get under herself and her back will round. I apoligize for it being hard to understand I am a very visual learner and its hard for me to explain what I do to fix something.

Sorry tinyliny were you reffering to my post? A half halt is a very benifical training method for WP horses, Its in no way forcing the horse head down but asking for the hind end to power the horse forward which will ALSO help the horse to lift his shoulders through the changes smoothly.

Hidalgo13 04-03-2011 07:36 PM

LOved the music. ;)