The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Natural Horsemanship - riding without a bridle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/natural-horsemanship-riding-without-bridle-82763/)

lgp16 04-02-2011 11:27 AM

Natural Horsemanship - riding without a bridle

Hi everyone!
I ride my horse bareback because he has obviously had bad experiences with the girth in the past and I prefer to ride as natural as possible. But i would love to take it a step further and ride without a bridle. Obviously this is a gradual process but if anyone has done the same thing and/or has any advice about doing this, please let me know :-) Thank you!

p.s. Dont comment if you are just going to say 'you should have a bridle, its dangerous without one' etc etc. I trust my horse and i am a very experienced rider.

manca 04-02-2011 11:57 AM

I never tried it and I probably never won't, but I would start bitless at first, then I would go riding without hands for a time. When horse would obey me completly (not using hands) I would put bridle/halter away.
Take a lot of time! And make sure you're safe.

Equus caballus 04-02-2011 06:15 PM

I want to try and teach my horse how to ride bridless also (:
Probably gonna be a long process for my horse since she is not very trained with riding, but I want to ride as natural as possible as well, but I'm not sure what the best way to teach her is.
Have you ever heard of Stacy Westfall? Talk about horsemanship. She can ride her horse very well without a bridle or saddle. Her video is really cool! I wish I could do that also.

purplefrog55 04-02-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgp16 (Post 983745)
Hi everyone!
I ride my horse bareback because he has obviously had bad experiences with the girth in the past and I prefer to ride as natural as possible. But i would love to take it a step further and ride without a bridle. Obviously this is a gradual process but if anyone has done the same thing and/or has any advice about doing this, please let me know :-) Thank you!

p.s. Dont comment if you are just going to say 'you should have a bridle, its dangerous without one' etc etc. I trust my horse and i am a very experienced rider.

I am definitely for your idea of riding without any tack(: I always wish I could do that, but I probably can't with the horse I ride now... Anyway, I never had experience with that, but I would like to know how it goes as you progress(:
Someday when I get a horse suitable for that, I would like to know how to teach a horse to obey like that. I love natural horsemanship.