The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   want to jump but afraid to. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/want-jump-but-afraid-82765/)

JamieLeighx 04-02-2011 11:42 AM

want to jump but afraid to.

I Started back to riding a few months ago , I really want to jump but im afraid of falling Lol I got a new horse yesterday who is a complete confidence giver. Im hoping this will help , Does anyone have any advice? at the minute im jumping cross pole LOL but I want to go higher .

JustDressageIt 04-02-2011 11:46 AM

My advice: find a good trainer that will teach you properly. Proper instruction will take care of your fears and make sure you're learning how to jump safely and effectively.
Posted via Mobile Device

JamieLeighx 04-02-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 983763)
My advice: find a good trainer that will teach you properly. Proper instruction will take care of your fears and make sure you're learning how to jump safely and effectively.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanx though here in the UK we dont have trainers we have lessons. private 1 to 1 lessons are 35 a time.

JustDressageIt 04-02-2011 12:01 PM

Same thing :) start with lessons for your safety. Jumping is dangerous, please be safe and get lessons.
Posted via Mobile Device

JamieLeighx 04-02-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 983773)
Same thing :) start with lessons for your safety. Jumping is dangerous, please be safe and get lessons.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do take lessons every wednesday :)

Tamibunny 04-02-2011 02:15 PM

You say your just starting back? Does this mean you've jumped before? Do you know your basics? Or are you just wanting to bulid your confidence?

JamieLeighx 04-02-2011 02:55 PM

Yeaa i know how to jump and the basics im just not confident.
Posted via Mobile Device

Citrus 04-02-2011 03:07 PM

Jumping is the deadliest part of horse riding..... I echo the idea of getting a good trainer and developing your seat and balance.

Tamibunny 04-04-2011 03:56 PM

Well If your going to be riding at home without your trainer also, just go slow. Start with just going over poles, crossrails.... bla bla. Ask your trainer what might help you. Make sure you talk to your trainer about it so that they dont over face you with a fence you are not ready for. Its ok to have lost some confidence. I found if you ride some schoolmasters for a while it will really help. Just trust the horse, trust your leg. Dont forget to breathe :)

rosie1 04-04-2011 09:03 PM

If you aren't feeling very confident yet then don't worry about the hight of the fences, that will only come with time and practice. Continue working with your trainer until you feel safe and cmfortable and when you and your instructor feel you're ready then you can start to progress, pushing yourself if you aren't ready can easily set you back further if you are already a bit nervous. Be patient and it will come :)
Posted via Mobile Device