The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Regaining her trust. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/regaining-her-trust-82770/)

Seifur 04-02-2011 12:34 PM

Regaining her trust.

I got my mare Blíğ when I was 8 years old (I'm 19 now) but I didn't start riding her until I was 10. We had the perfect bond, she always behaved perfectly and I could go alone on trail rides. I had rode her for 6 years and then my parents decided to give her away... But now, about 2,5 years later I finally got her back :D It seems like she doesn't think of me as her leader anymore. She wasn't very happy to be inside the stable (the other horses were outside) while I was grooming her. I'm gonna have to start all over again.
what can I do to make her trust me again? Would join up work? I don't have any access to a round pen :( I'd love any advice you can give me :D

cakemom 04-02-2011 01:00 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

mbender 04-02-2011 01:37 PM

Tons of patience and time. Who knows where she came from and what she dealt with. Grooming and talking. Take her out for a walk and talking. Whatever as long as you are deciding the route. She will be what you want if you just take your time.
Posted via Mobile Device

jwells84 04-02-2011 05:44 PM

Join up will help,but it sounds like you're really going to have to work with to get her to trust and respect you again... lots of ground work, desentizing, ect... I feel like a broken record on this forum.lol. but really, having solid ground work is the best to build a relationship. once you have the relationship, and feel safe with her, then ride,but go slow, you might not be able to just hop on and go for a trail ride.

equus717 04-02-2011 05:51 PM

Start slow with her. Give her some time to readjust to her surroundings. Spend some time with her everyday if you are able to. Groom her and just get to know her again. Go for walks together.

Seifur 04-04-2011 12:12 PM

I will definitely try this. Thanks so much everyone :D

HorseLover96 05-07-2011 02:45 PM

Vertu meğ henni á hverjum degi, talağu viğ hana, leiktu viğ hana, göngutúra, kempdu henni og vertu bara meğ henni ;)
Gerği şetta meğ minn hest og hann eltir mig eins og hund :D Og gerir allt fyrir mig:)

Saddlebag 05-07-2011 03:21 PM

It may not be so much a trust issue as things she got away with with the previous owner. Horses are brilliant at reading people (they should be the psychiatrists). Just coax her along and let her know what is acceptable and what isn't. Don't fall into the trap of rewarding her at the wrong time. When you ask her to enter the barn and she hesitates, use a lunge whip and jiggle it toward her hip which asks her to move forward. If you get only one step, great, it's something to build on. Do not pet her as she sees that as a reward for stopping. Don't pull on the lead. Her reward is when you move the whip away. Turn around to face where you want her to go and start walking. If she doesn't come, again ask for a step with the whip.

mbender 05-07-2011 03:23 PM

And this means??? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseLover96 05-07-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbender (Post 1026379)
And this means??? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

R you talking to me? :)
Hehe we are both from Iceland so I said it in icelandis so she would mabye understand more, but i say it in English to:

Bee with her everyday, talk to her, play with her, go for a walk, groom her and talk to her in the same time and just be with her. I did this to my horse and he folllows me lika lost puppy and does everything for me :))