The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Sickem Doc Olena's "Lena" foaling thread. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/sickem-doc-olenas-lena-foaling-thread-82809/)

Ladybug2001 04-02-2011 09:50 PM

Sickem Doc Olena's "Lena" foaling thread.

3 Attachment(s)
I deem this my new mare's foaling thread. The owner first thought she was only 5 months along, she is HUGE and that baby moves to the point where two people can be standing on both sides and see it move at the same time. So I say she is going to pop, the foal they thought was hers that was about 5 months old was a bay.. Makes no sense because she is a paint and the sire is a paint, the only one that was running around with her.

It was dark by the time we got home, I'll post new ones tomorrow after I groom her.

Oh and the quality of living is just for tonight. She had to go into a small paddock for safety from my stubborn mare and her "boyfriend" of a gelding. Tomorrow we are fixing the fences that the gelding keeps getting out and putting a gate on the stable so she can stay in there at night for foaling and afterward to keep the foal safe.

Attachment 60178

Attachment 60180

Attachment 60182

equus717 04-02-2011 09:54 PM

She is going to be gorgeous. I bet the baby will be gorgeous as well. DO you have a pic of the sire?

equus717 04-02-2011 09:54 PM

I would have my vet recheck her to see if she is further along than 5 months. From the pictures I would guess closer to 9 months.

Ladybug2001 04-02-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equus717 (Post 984243)
She is going to be gorgeous. I bet the baby will be gorgeous as well. DO you have a pic of the sire?

I have a very bad one that was off of craigslist, if it will even load.... Nevermind, I must have deleted it and the craigslist posting is gone now. Darn.. He was very stocky and well built. Probably close to 15 hands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by equus717 (Post 984245)
I would have my vet recheck her to see if she is further along than 5 months. From the pictures I would guess closer to 9 months.

I'm thinking about doing that, though I'm actually guessing further then 9 months, though not to sure as her udders are full because she had two foals nursing off of her. One wasn't hers, the other was her yearling which was her last foal.

equus717 04-02-2011 10:03 PM

So can you take a picture of her udders? I ask because if they are full then you could be within a couple of weeks to a couple of days of having a foal. What color was the sire?

Ladybug2001 04-02-2011 10:14 PM

I can get a picture of them tomorrow, I think she is a bit sensitive on her udders because she doesn't like being touched all that much. The sire was a black and white paint, he had a bald face like an overo but the white crossed all along his body, maybe like tobiano.

NdAppy 04-02-2011 10:18 PM

Is that the same sire as the bay foal? If it is, it is prefectly reasonable for them to have a bay foal. It just means that the mare is carrying agouti (the bay gene), since it doesn't express on a red base you wouldn't see it on her. :-)

Ladybug2001 04-02-2011 10:24 PM

I don't think it was her foal, she is to far along to have the youngest of her two foals be 5 months. Her yearling is a paint from the same sire, there were bay mares in with her so it is quiet possible that she adoped the little guy. I guess we will see if she foals quiet soon with a non premature foal.

MacabreMikolaj 04-02-2011 11:05 PM

Have you considered the fact it may be twins? :? If they're not even sure which FOAL was hers, I highly doubt they bother ultrasounding their mares? It could explain having such a big belly so soon, mares with twins get almost impossibly huge.

RedTree 04-02-2011 11:14 PM

I think I must of missed some info...
when did you get her?
Whats her background? I'm guessing shes a sort of rescue