The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Bedding or no bedding in horse trailer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/bedding-no-bedding-horse-trailer-82843/)

kitten_Val 04-03-2011 10:08 AM

Bedding or no bedding in horse trailer?

I'm really hoping to hear opinions together with pros and cons of using shavings/sawdust in trailer. I do use a little now and thinking if I can stop (as it makes lots of mess in trailer). My concern is if the mats become too slippery whey they pee or poop (although pee happened just once so far in 2 years).

usandpets 04-03-2011 10:54 AM

I wouldn't use any if it's an open style trailer or if you have the windows open while traveling. The wind can pick up the dust and the horse can breathe it in. In an enclosed trailer, you could use some but I don't think you need to. We have an open, slant load 2 horse, looks like a stock trailer, and we don't use any. We've never had any problem with the rubber mats getting slippery from pee or poop.

eventerdrew 04-03-2011 12:47 PM

the one and only time I didn't use shavings in my trailer, my horse fell and spooked herself. It took her months to get over the fear of getting in the trailer again.

kevinshorses 04-03-2011 12:55 PM

Bedding in a trailer is generally not a good idea. Staw or shavings make the floor much more slippery than just a good rubber mat. If you don't believe me ride in the back of your trailer while it's being pulled down the road.

zurmdahl 04-03-2011 01:02 PM

I would put bedding in, it can get very slippery if your horse pees. I know of a horse who fell while backing out of his trailer and broke his leg and was put down. It is way too much of a risk in my opinion especially since it's so easy to just put shavings in the trailer, I don't see any benefit to not putting them in except that it might save you some money.

maura 04-03-2011 01:02 PM

The only time I ever put bedding in a trailer is for very long hauls, or if the horse is going to be standing in the trailer for long periods of time. I want the shavings to absorb the pee so it doesn't get down to the floorboards of the trailer. Most horses won't pee in the trailer unless they really, really, have to, so most of the time, bedding isn't necessary. When I do use bedding, I only put it in the back half of the area.

oberon the beasty 04-03-2011 01:20 PM

I wouldn't put it in b/c it would be a pain to clean up and if it got wet it would become moldy.

Vidaloco 04-03-2011 01:22 PM

We always use bedding. I think it gives them extra traction. If I was pulling a stock trailer with tread plate floors and open sides I may think differently. If you have rubber mats, they can get really slick with a little horsey pee pee on them.
I only spread it aft of the front feet putting it heavier in the rear.

oberon the beasty 04-03-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eventerdrew (Post 984812)
the one and only time I didn't use shavings in my trailer, my horse fell and spooked herself. It took her months to get over the fear of getting in the trailer again.

Did u have rubber mats on the floor or just the shavings?

maura 04-03-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

it would be a pain to clean up and if it got wet it would become moldy
???????????????????

If you put bedding in a trailer, you muck it out in the same way you muck a bedded stall; you don't leave wet or dirty bedding in the trailer.