The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   time for weaning cruz (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/time-weaning-cruz-8285/)

mell 04-25-2008 09:03 PM

time for weaning cruz

yesterday cruz's mummy was taken away (she is about 15km away with another of our mares) . He will be 7 months old in about 10 days, originally he was going to be weaned at 6 months but we had problems with the float -like bullet (mad kelpie) chewing the brake lights on the float :evil:
Well he is in the round yard and has been calling all night. trotting around and around. Vodka (dam) was suprisingly good. She just walked on the float fine. She was a bit stressed when she was been driven down the road. they were calling back and forth to each other, but she settled into her temporary home well.
Cruz didn't eat anything all night. But i just went out to give grub (cruz's sire) his lunch and check on cruz and he has finished almost all of last nights feed now.
I will try to get some pics soon. :D

LadyDreamer 04-25-2008 09:30 PM

Ooh, I can't wait to see them! I hate weaning time, but it has to be done.

FGRanch 04-25-2008 11:18 PM

I don't like weaning time either! It's so sad, but definatly something that has to be done. If I did't take Kita's foals away from her she would never wean them on her own! :D

My2Geldings 04-27-2008 02:37 AM

It's sad, I hate weaning time especially during the first 2-3 days until they actually settle down. :evil: I always feel bad.

PoptartShop 04-27-2008 02:41 AM

Ahh, that must be hard. :( But like LD said, it has to be done.

mell 04-27-2008 03:42 AM

yeh. It was sad at first. What was even more sad was when we took vodka out, we brought another mare back, who also happened to be grey like his mum. lol he saw her get off the float and was all excited, untill he realised it wasn't vodka. lol.
He has calmed down a bit now though.

PoptartShop 04-27-2008 03:45 AM

Aww. Yeah, well I'm glad he's calming down. :)

Vidaloco 04-27-2008 06:21 AM

We were so lucky when we weaned or kids. They had each other to keep company with. Since they are only 10 days apart in age, they do everything together. I do worry about the day they have to leave each other for trail rides though...should be interesting :shock:

My2Geldings 04-27-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco
We were so lucky when we weaned or kids. They had each other to keep company with. Since they are only 10 days apart in age, they do everything together. I do worry about the day they have to leave each other for trail rides though...should be interesting :shock:

That is really good. That makes things so much smoother and nicer when you have other babies who need weaning as well. My best friend is going to be doing that this year. She is going to buy another foal once he she is weaned to keep company to the other foal. Will be nicer for the new foal.