The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Time table for showing? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/time-table-showing-82851/)

Secondtimearound 04-03-2011 01:23 PM

Time table for showing?

Out of curiousity, I was wondering how long it takes a typical rider to go from initial training in English to being well trained enough to show in hunter? I understand this varies by rider, trainer and horse and even level of show. It just seems like some of the riders I have met or watched have been at it for several years and still only competing in AA shows with 3ft jumps. I am just beginning the jumping process and told I'm progessing quickly. But what is the norm?

eventerdrew 04-03-2011 01:24 PM

It totally depends on the horse, rider and the combination of them both. You can't really put a time table one anyone for that sort of thing.

Secondtimearound 04-03-2011 03:04 PM

I understand

Perhaps it is better to ask how long did it take you all to go from start to A shows?

Thanks for the insight.

AlexS 04-03-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secondtimearound (Post 984962)
Perhaps it is better to ask how long did it take you all to go from start to A shows?

Thanks for the insight.

That's a tough one to answer as well. 10 years ago I was doing A rated shows, since then I have had younger less able horses. I don't see myself doing another A rated for a good few years yet.

Too many variables to say - but if you are determined, work hard, have a willing horse, you can get yourself there in not too long. Good luck!

Quixotic 04-03-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secondtimearound (Post 984894)
some of the riders I have met or watched have been at it for several years and still only competing in AA shows with 3ft jumps.

Is this a bad thing? If they're already competing at 3ft after just a few years of riding, I'd say they were either extremely good riders, or were progressed too far too soon.

upnover 04-04-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quixotic (Post 985521)
Is this a bad thing? If they're already competing at 3ft after just a few years of riding, I'd say they were either extremely good riders, or were progressed too far too soon.

Completely agree.

A lot of it will depend on how frequently you ride, what you mean by "trained enough", and what level you want to show at the A level. Technically most A shows have an 18 in division. It doesn't take TOO long to get to the point where you can get around a course at that level.

Most of my students stay in flat lessons for about a year. Riding twice a week makes a significant difference as opposed to riding just once. Add in another year (of jumping twice a week on schoolmasters) to get to where they can navigate around a simple 18 in course, but not what I would consider to be more than a beginner jumper. I have a student who's only been riding about a year and a half (but she leases a horse and lessons twice a week) who is jumping 2" very successfully. Won almost every single class she entered in at a show last week with pretty good competition. I would say she's a little ahead of most. I have a tiny little kid who's uncoordinated, unmotivated, and only rides once a week. After a year and a half I still won't let her canter.

Alwaysbehind 04-04-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secondtimearound (Post 984962)

A way freaking long time.
And several horses.

I agree, if people are making it to 3' after a few years they are either really good riders or have great horses (or a trainer that is pushing people too fast).