The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Clipping legs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/clipping-legs-82907/)

Clair 04-03-2011 11:17 PM

Clipping legs?

So I'm at a loss about what to do with Kelty's legs. They're not particularly long or graceful, so they need all the help they can get!
Do ya'll trim your horses legs? Any tips for that? I know he'll let me, I just don't want to make him look silly!
Plus they are weirdly turning silver this summer. He is a chestnut that turns into a dun wannabe in the summer (light gold body, black mane and tail) but this particular summer his legs have turned silver and they're all furry. It looks really strange and dingy. Its not a marking, because he only has one little sock in the back. Plus its not white, its like this silvery color. Last year his legs turned dark.... Its just weird.
Suggestions appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device

usandpets 04-04-2011 12:00 AM

Are you asking about trimming the winter hair off or like the fetlocks? We don't trim any winter hair off but occassionally trim the fetlocks. More so in winter so the snow doesn't clump up on them.

As for the hair changing color, many horses do it to compensate for the season. I think they can also change from the quality of feed. When we got our first horse, he was like the color of a new penny but he was very underweight. Now he is a dark chestnut. He does lighten some for the summer but not that much.

Clair 04-04-2011 12:22 AM

Interesting.... I guess both. He has like long wisps of hair on the inside of his legs still (and it was 86 degrees here today). I don't recall that happening last year...

I hesitated with the fetlocks since I read that they wick water away from the frog.

Huh. Well last summer he was on ultium and coastal hey round bales.

Now he's on safe&sound grain, coastal hey round bales, and alfalfa and flax seed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zeke 04-04-2011 12:25 AM

Is this for a show? I used to only do it in the summer time if there was a show coming up.

As for tips, I start at the bottom and go against the direction the hair grows to clip....that may be a bit obvious though haha. It's been awhile since I've clipped, sorry.

Clair 04-04-2011 12:31 AM

Someday it will be! Now we just want to visit shows so we can get used to them. I like him to look clean and polished for trail rides etc, and hopefully I can practice getting ready before I actually will need to just to get mistakes out of the way.

Nope, wasn't obvious to me! First horse :) thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zeke 04-04-2011 12:56 AM

Great! I should add then to be careful your clippers don't over heat and you should also invest in some blade oil to keep them nice and clean throughout the clipping process (can't clip much if the blade is clogged with hair!).

mom2pride 04-04-2011 01:49 AM

My mare has white socks, and I clip up to the edges of her socks and that is it...usually with a #7 blade against the grain; helps me keep her cleaner in the warmer months, that's for sure, since the shorter hair is easier to wash, and dries quickly. I use the longer blade, because I don't like it so short that she could get sun burn, or other irritations associated with clipping it short. I don't show in high level shows, so there is no need to keep it clipped any shorter, either.