The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How long can your horse have off and not forget EVERYTHING?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-long-can-your-horse-have-8292/)

melinda27858 04-26-2008 01:08 AM

How long can your horse have off and not forget EVERYTHING??

So, Fella had the flu virus and was snotting and coughing for two weeks. He was one of the last of all the horses at the barn to get it (spread like wildfire)...**** auction mini-horse brought it into the barn! Sort of reminded me of daycare!

Anyways, he did two weeks of nothing! I would bring him out of stall rest to brush him, pick feet, and give him some fresh air outside just walking on a daily basis. The last couple of days he was feeling better, I put him in the round pen then arena to kick up his heels a little. Free lunged in round pen night before last (we took it easy). Last night my instructor said she felt as though he was ready to start getting back into work (no more mucus and cough had disappeared). We were in the round pen working at walk and trot and I think he had forgotten everything he learned. Five months of work was forgotten. NO WHOA (was his fave word)! And rushing the walk, rushing the trot (what happened to my uber-lazy horse!!!). We spent our short time working on "easy" to slow it down and whoa without pushing our nose as far as we can! Granted he is young at just five, but I had no idea he would regress so much!

So, tell us how long your horse can go without work before you have to reintroduce yourself to each other!

free_sprtd 04-26-2008 02:03 AM

well at only 2 weeks i doubt he forgot it, he probably just got lazy ;). when thunder was out for a week, and then i brought him back to working, we had to do a refresher and work on manners again for awhile...he's only 2. but for a horse that's 5 and been in consistent training for months, he's probably just got very comfortable at not having to work ;)

mell 04-26-2008 02:07 AM

horses are like elephants, they remember everything. lol :D

Bitless 04-26-2008 02:11 AM

Hehe hmm Banjos had 5 months off in one go this christmas holidays, and begginning of the year :lol: , thats the longest hes has had off ever, due to lameness then me going away to uni for 2 months :roll:

But he was great when i rode him in the holidays after having his time off. Lol. suppose the 6 years of work before hand has made it stick :wink:

FledgeOfNarnia 04-26-2008 02:16 AM

My gelding has gone about a month or more without doing anything. When I take him out, he's spunky, but he remembers the stuff that I drilled into him.

mayfieldk 04-26-2008 03:03 AM

Your gelding is just feeling a little spunky. Run him really good and hard in the round pen... I promise you he'll 'remember' what whoa means! :wink:
My horse sat for almost two years when I was at college... he came out riding just as good when i put him away, only he didn't have the muscle to do some of what I asked him.

AKPaintLover 04-26-2008 03:23 AM

He didn't forget...just playing dumb :)

My boy gets punky after two weeks off, but after I tune him up and help him remember what behavior is acceptable, he actually seems to make strides in his training coming into everything fresh.

melinda27858 04-26-2008 10:16 AM

I like that AK! Playing dumb! We were convinced for the last week after his nose cleared up that he was still (psuedo) coughing because he knew he could get more time off!

Cheval 04-26-2008 01:13 PM

Yeah, horses will remember, so he's just being a jerk and is really hyper.
I didn't ride Sunny for two weeks then lunged him. That was a mistake. He kept dropping his outside shoulder and falling out, then started taking off. God, I got my hands really ripped up.

Gingerrrrr 04-26-2008 01:54 PM

i say a horse never forgets his training if he knows it down pat. but he will become spunky and will probably act up if he hasn't been ridden in a long while. my mare use to try and run me over in the beginning of the yr and now that shes being worked shes amazing!