The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Hackamores? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/hackamores-82943/)

katieandduke 04-04-2011 12:56 PM

Hackamores?

I have gotten opinions from some of my horse friends around me, but I wanted to see what people on here used for their horses.

my horse is a 20 yr old quarter horse. at the moment im riding him in just a halter, but I want to try out a hackamore on him.. He has been in a hackamore like this one... Jeffers Hackamore

but I didn't like that one as much. A friend told me to get a mechanical hackamore.

What are your opinions on different types of hackamores? What is the best and the worst?

thanks for the help!

bubba13 04-04-2011 01:07 PM

The one you posted is sort of an English type, but no reason you couldn't use it. Much milder than most mechanical-type hackamores. I would avoid, by the way, a true mechanical hackamore. They're harsh, dangerous, and have no finesse. Little S hackamores are great, too, but the rope noseband can be abrasive and should thus be wrapped or replaced with flat leather.

You can see some more hack info in the link in my sig...

horsecrazy84 04-04-2011 02:50 PM

I use a sidepull most of the time. It has a rope noseband but I've only ever had a problem with it rubbing the nose once. I found vetwrap works really good for wrapping the rope noseband. It isn't severe at all, doesn't have any shanks and should work really well if the horse is responsive to pressure on his nose. I prefer sidepulls over hackamores.

katieandduke 04-04-2011 03:37 PM

well the picture I post was what he used to be ridden in from time to time.

this is what i was told to buy.. Rubber Nose Hackamore

bubba13 04-04-2011 03:59 PM

...and don't buy it. It's a piece of crap, and very few horses work well in them.

katieandduke 04-05-2011 01:35 PM

well duke works pretty good in anything i put on him.. but i want something that i know will work and that's what everybody is telling me to get

bubba13 04-05-2011 01:39 PM

Why attempt to fix (and risk breaking) what ain't broke???

CJ82Sky 04-05-2011 02:32 PM

why get something that's harsh? "because my friends told me so" is something i tell my students is NEVER an acceptable reason. i'll hear them out for almost anything BUT they need to say WHY THEY SPECIFICALLY want to use that tack and they need to understand how it works on their horse. period!

katieandduke 04-05-2011 07:30 PM

Because I don't want to use a bridle with a bit on him at the moment, because he performs better in a hackamore or just a simple halter. I can't ride in shows with just a halter. otherwise i'd just stick with that.

Well I understand how a hackamore works just not sure on the specific type I should be putting on my horse. thank you. Everybody is different. Any bit and hackamore can be "harsh" when put in the hands of an inexperienced rider. I ride loose reined and just need a hackamore that will get the job done.

Instead of telling me "don't buy this one it's crap" how about suggesting a different type.. that would be beneficial.

wyominggrandma 04-05-2011 07:35 PM

Most mechanical hackamores are very very harsh and can actually break a jaw.
My granddaughter rode her barrel horse with a "beetle hackamore" and its a nice one, has the nose band for pressure but small curved shanks that make it great for lift and control but not so much pressure as the mechanical hack since they have 7 or 8 inch shanks. The longer the shank, the more severe a bit or hackamore is.
What are you going to show him in? No classes that I know of allow hackamores to be used except bosals and they are for 4 or under or 5 and under age. If you are talking reining, pleasure, or I am sure english classes, I don't think you can use them. If you are talking barrels, poles then you can use anytype, but the shorter shanks the better for your horse.