The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Member Journals (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/)
-   -   Bending Bella (http://www.horseforum.com/member-journals/bending-bella-82956/)

lilruffian 04-04-2011 02:30 PM

Bending Bella

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought i'd start my own progress journal for Bella, now that we've officially started training :-) As some of you may know, I bought Bella, a 10-yr-old Norwegian Fjord mare back on December 5 2010.
She is greenbroke & was kept mainly as a pet so is very spoiled, pushy & in your space.
She takes saddle, bridle, EVERYTHING very quietly & without a fuss, however she's got no clue when it comes to leg & rein pressure especially when it comes to bending her neck! It's like trying to pull a 2-by-4 in half:lol:
Hopefully i will be able to work with her regularly (weather permitting). Everything has started to melt but i've no doubt the snow has not had its last word!

Please feel free to comment or give advice!

lilruffian 04-04-2011 02:40 PM

Ok, so yesterday was our actual start :)
I took Chico out first for a ride & to work with her on the ground. She doesn't exactly need training like Bella but needs a refresher on patience big time!
After i brought Bella into the yard & brushed her out.
I'm attempting the Natural Horsemanship way of training via Pat Parelli. I figure they all do it basically the same & his material is the only stuff available in my area so forgive me for all the PP terminoligy lol.

It was immediately apparrent that Bella has never been lunged. She wasn't constantly trying to face up but she wasa little spooked by it lol
Started with the "friendly game" which she is great at. Not afraid of anything i do with the rope. Bends away from me & all that as well.
She's a bit pokey when longing (circling game) but when i ask her to face she does it immediately. Much better than Chico actually! She even caught onto the yo-yo game fairly quickly.

She is very stiff in her movements & not sensitive to pressure so the "porcupine game" was difficult. Took ALOT of pressure & me literally putting my shoulder into it to make her move away.

We worked mostly on going in & out of the trailer, which she caught onto very quickly (again, much quicker than Chico who likes to make a fuss especially when she knows what you want her to do).
Bella kept trying to hide behind the door lol (i have a 2-horse trailer) but it took no time for me to get her going in on her own without my help leading her inside.

lilruffian 04-05-2011 03:54 PM

Just went out & spent time brushing the girls yesterday & today. Playing the "friendly game" (my excuse anyway ha ha!) Was out all day yesterday & it's really windy today.
Chico's shedding fast! Bella, not so much lol.

lilruffian 04-05-2011 05:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wind finally died down so i played with them both today. They did awesome!
Bella catches on so quickly. We tried the trailer out again today & they both went in without hesitation twice in a row :D Bella didn't wanna come out!

manca 04-08-2011 09:43 AM

Just wanted to say that she is soooo cute :)
And it seems to me that you're doing great!

lilruffian 04-08-2011 12:00 PM

Thanks :) She's not doing too badly. Hoping to get out again today!

lilruffian 04-08-2011 07:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Took the girls out again today :-)
Was gonna trim bridle path's & cheeks but need a new pair of clippers so i just re-cut Bella's mane :D Got a good, sharp pair of scissors finally & man does it look better than the first time i did it!

Trailer's no problem. Bella litterally drug me into it :lol:
Next step will be putting hte divider in & then loading them together!

lilruffian 04-09-2011 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did some more today. Was finally able to get them going in through the left door with no issues. There wasa big block of ice in front before so i could only get the right trailer door open.

My niece is out for a few days, & she LOVES horses (my fault :lol:) so i popped her up there & led her around on the driveway a few times.

lilruffian 04-12-2011 04:38 PM

Took Chico & Bella out today.
Saddled Chico up & we towed Bella down the road lol :D Got assaulted by a big dumb dog twice, but my girls didn't even blink an eye at him. if it were me i woulda booted him in the chops but they're pretty calm girls.

When we got back, i slipped the divider into the trailer & got them going in together. Both doing SO GOOD in there!

lilruffian 04-14-2011 03:24 PM

Looks like we're gonna have a couple days off because of the weather! Grr Windy all day yesterday & woke up this morning to snow like crazy!
Hopefully the sun will come out again real soon...