The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Getting a nice slow jog (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/getting-nice-slow-jog-8297/)

SonnyWimps 04-26-2008 06:46 PM

Getting a nice slow jog

Lately I've been having problems getting Sonny to do a nice slow jog (or trot to those English people :wink: ). I've tried half-halting, or milking the reins and it doesn't work. I can get a fairly slow trot if I'm using two hands, but with just neck-reining it seems to be impossible.

Since Sonny has lost weight he'd gotten more energy and wants to go...and unless he's super-dee-dooper tired and I did alot of work with him before hand.

I really would like to show him in western shows (not sure what type of show though), but I'd like to be able to get a fast jog when I want one...and a slow one when I need one.

Any ideas that would work? Mainly if I'm neck-reining...he stops fine...and I've tried putting more pressure on the reins...but I do that and he walks...he's sooo stubborn haha

Harlee rides horses 04-27-2008 01:40 AM

Add pressure to the reins, but while your doing it keep pressure with your legs and push him into it.
Draw reins also help, I can have my barrel horse doing a western jog in those things.

SonnyWimps 04-27-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlee rides horses
Add pressure to the reins, but while your doing it keep pressure with your legs and push him into it.
draw reins also help, I can have my barrel horse doing a western jog in those things.

Sonny has never had draw reins, martingale, or a training fork on...and I have a feeling he wouldn't like it and would either panic or throw some bucks

I do add pressure to his reins but he puts his nose either up so he can't really feel too much of the pressure, or just ignores it and then lets me know he hurts afterwards.

I'm going to try working on a slow jog today to see if I can get it...I can get a slow canter alright...it's just the jog...*sighs*

tim 04-27-2008 02:15 PM

Well, sometimes the problem isn't that your horse is unwilling, he's just unable.

Sonny might need to put on some muscles before he is able to sustain a slow jogging frame. It takes muscle for them to move that slowly. I always use the car analogy:

Imagine that Sonny's gaits are like gears in a car. Usually, the slower the car moves, the lower the gear. But now you are asking Sonny to move more slowly in a high gear. There are cars that can pull off from a standstill in 5th gear, but they usually have around 400-500 lb.ft. of torque. Otherwise they will just stall. Sonny is in the same position -- he may not have enough power to keep up a strong frame, and so he is increasing the speed to make it more comfortable for him. In order for Sonny to jog with a nice collected frame, he will need to have the muscles to support himself.

SonnyWimps 04-27-2008 07:36 PM

when I first tried him out before I bought him he did a nice slow jog...and it seems like if I am worried or something he will do a nice slow jog (as if he's trying to take care of me...he's a sweety :wink: ) but if I'm really confident that day (like I usually am) he'll want to go fast.

I've tried making myself be nervous, but it doesn't work...he can tell if I'm faking it or not. It's soo weird though

AKPaintLover 04-28-2008 06:18 PM

Serpentines, Serpentines, serpentines - They work! :)

Harlee rides horses 04-29-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonnyWimps
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harlee rides horses
draw reins also help, I can have my barrel horse doing a western jog in those things.

Sonny has never had draw reins, martingale, or a training fork on...and I have a feeling he wouldn't like it and would either panic or throw some bucks

I do add pressure to his reins but he puts his nose either up so he can't really feel too much of the pressure, or just ignores it and then lets me know he hurts afterwards.

I'm going to try working on a slow jog today to see if I can get it...I can get a slow canter alright...it's just the jog...*sighs*

I have used draw reins on horses that have never used them, my barrel horse for instance, works like an angel in them. They're just like regular reins they can put their head up, it all depends on how you work with them.

WSArabians 04-30-2008 11:17 PM

How is his collection when you ask him for it?
Does he normally go with a nice low head set, or higher up?

farmpony84 05-21-2008 10:27 AM

update?

JustDressageIt 05-21-2008 01:12 PM

Wow lots of people focusing on the hands - I say sit deep and ask it from your seat! You can control the speed of the gait from your seat, sit deep and think slow with your bum :) YOU set the tempo, and make him match it.