The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   switching from T&A hay to O&A? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/switching-t-hay-o-82978/)

dirtymartini 04-04-2011 07:51 PM

switching from T&A hay to O&A?

The T&A hay has been ugly lately, plus it is not cheap! Why do people choose T&A over O&A? Can I switch to O&A easily? I am feeding a 2 year old paso filly 2 flakes a day, and 2 minis, they each get 1 flake a day, maybe a little less. None of the horses work hard (actually, they hardly work, lol) and they also get grain.

thanks!

SAsamone 04-04-2011 07:53 PM

I switch all the time for the same reason, and also depending on price...I like the O&A here becuase it's more like grass, and less stalky than T&A...depends on the season and the place though. I'm on T&A now becuase there's a new place selling it for $8.00 a bail and it's really green and nice, where the other charges $11 and $13 for O&A.

dirtymartini 04-05-2011 01:59 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

dirtymartini 04-05-2011 02:02 AM

Ok, thanks! I have been googling and reading the same thing as you said. I feel more confident now about switching around based on quality. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Production Acres 04-05-2011 10:41 AM

very few animals object to switching from a timothy to an orchardgrass or vice versa. They are both cool season grass hays and are very similar in how they are processed by the animal and in quality. Of course you can have a very nice 3 rd cutting o/a that will test 150 or a stalky 1st cutting t/a that will test 90rfv. Those differences are real and must be addressed. But switching from t/a to o/a is much different than switching from orchardgrass to bermuda, or from 1st cutting timothy to straight alfalfa.

dirtymartini 04-05-2011 07:08 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

dirtymartini 04-05-2011 07:09 PM

Thanks, P a! I never realized there was so much to learn about hay. At least I know O & A is an option!
Posted via Mobile Device