The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Which boots are best for barrels? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/boots-best-barrels-82981/)

chexylove 04-04-2011 08:15 PM

Which boots are best for barrels?

I am starting to do barrels and was wondering if any of yall knew which kind of boots were the best to use? any help will be much appreciated:D

Jeni Hogue 04-04-2011 09:49 PM

I just the SMBII's but just dont get the black color. The research I did they are great except for the black color has issues with the material for some reason.

BuckOff41570 04-05-2011 09:49 AM

I use SMBIIs... HATED the Elites. They were crap. Like the Classic Equines ok, but they werent spectacular. Bar Fs were great protection boots as well.

I just like the Pro Choice better. I have 2 sets of black... never had an issue with them. Also got orange and blue... no issues. Never heard of an issue with them.

I've only had an issue with the Elite's stitching coming apart in the first week. Now the velcro is ripping on them. Waste of money.

franknbeans 04-05-2011 10:08 AM

I don't do barrels, but use the boots for reining. I have issues with sand accumulating in my SMB's. I recently switched over to the new Pegasus boots-LOVE them. So much easier to put on and off....and NO sand!
XT new Product intro

BuckOff41570 04-05-2011 10:32 AM

See? I had heard bad thing about pegasus boots. I was going to try them until a friend said they dont ride right.

The SMBs to get some sand in them, but my horse only has SMBs on for less than 20 seconds, so the accumulation of sand doesnt effect him.

NicoleS11 04-05-2011 11:01 AM

I use the Elites and have no problem at all other than the sand getting in there. Im a penner...so after every run I just take them off and run my hands down my geldings legs to get rid of the dirt but the boots themselves are awesome..

barrelracer892 04-05-2011 11:07 AM

I have the SMB Elites and I hate them. They don't seem to fit quite right and they do get a lot of sand in them. I'm going to try the Pegasus boots out next.

beau159 04-05-2011 12:52 PM

Which sport boots are "best" is totally subjective and based on personal opinion/preferance, as you can see by the variety of answers you have already gotten.

As for myself, I have used the SMB combo boots, the SMB II boots, and the new SMB 3 boots.

And I love the SMB 3 boots! They fit really well and I have found they let minimal dirt/sand into the boot, compared to the other SMB boots I have tried.

I probably will never buy combo boots again only because the bell boots wear out faster than the actual boot does. But then again, they are nice because the bell boot never turns because it is attached.

Just know that whatever boot you do decide to go with, DO spend some nice $$$ on them. Yes, they will be expensive but if you take care of the boots they will last you a very long time. I've had the SMB II boots for about 7 years and they are still in great working condition, but I take really good care of my stuff.

chexylove 04-05-2011 08:48 PM

Thanks everyone! great help will keep advice in mind :)

jethroish 06-06-2011 04:00 PM

This is like asking does Ford, Dodge or Chevy pull a trailer best?
I use ClassicEquine on one horse and BarF wrap-n-ride on the other.
Very subjective.