The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Breeding dilutes from bay (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/breeding-dilutes-bay-82987/)

MadamKing 04-04-2011 08:14 PM

Breeding dilutes from bay

I have a bay mare who I would like to breed a foal from who isnt a basic colour (eg bay, chestnut, etc). I know you can get buckskin, and various other not-so-uncommon colours but I was wondering if there is any way to breed these colours from a bay:

1. palomino
2. perlino
3. smoky cream
4. champagne
5. blue roan
6. peach dun

I reckon I'd need a chestnut rather than a bay for these but still, is it possible to get any of those from a bay mare and a dilute or non-basic stallion? Hope that made sense. According to colour calculator I can breed a pally from a cremello stallion but I'm not so sure...

NdAppy 04-04-2011 08:56 PM

It depends on what the mare's black/red and agouti status is and what stud she would breed to.

MadamKing 04-04-2011 09:06 PM

Well I don't know the specifics of genes, but she is by a bay sire out of a chestnut dam. her damsire and grand-dam through her mum are both chestnut, and her sire's parents are bay stallion and chestnut mare

NdAppy 04-04-2011 09:09 PM

Well you know the black/red (she is Ee, meaning has one black gene and one red). The agouti, what makes her bay, you know that she has at least one as agouti does not show on red (she is A?).

Like i said though, it also depends on what the stud's genetics are to also tell you what the pair might produce.

Chiilaa 04-04-2011 09:11 PM

I can tell you for sure that you definitely can't get a perlino out of her. The rest are theoretically possible depending on the stallion she crossed to, and her own genetics.

MadamKing 04-04-2011 09:13 PM

The perlino was the one I thought wasn't very possible. I love perlinos, haha. What about peach duns? How do you think I'd get one? A peach dun stallion?

Chiilaa 04-04-2011 09:44 PM

It depends what you mean by peach dun. I don't know the duns by their nicknames except grullo. I only know them by their base colour.

MadamKing 04-04-2011 09:53 PM

I chose this picture so you can see the dorsal stripe on it, confirming its not just a pale chestnut. Peach Duns (Red dun) is essentially a very pale peachy colour with a mane and tail that can be the same colour as their coat or darker. They look like a clipped chestnut. I think chestnut would be the base colour for a peach dun? It wouldn't let me upload the file :evil: so here is a linkeh

http://www.equine-world.org/sms/nikk...ecertainte.jpg

Shame you can't see his dorsal, though, so I am hoping he is an actual peach dun and not a chestnut

NdAppy 04-04-2011 10:10 PM

If you want a peach dun, you're better off buying one. There is no guarantee to the shade of color when breeding.

Chiilaa 04-05-2011 01:07 AM

Oh ok. I figured it would be a red dun. You are in Australia right MK?