The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Electric Fence: Can I just paint the top of T-post ? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/electric-fence-can-i-just-paint-82996/)

nyg052003 04-04-2011 09:19 PM

Electric Fence: Can I just paint the top of T-post ?

I have seen some people's pastures have the top of the t post painted white about 4 inches or so. I was wondering if it was for visibilty and would replace the need for putting flags along the galvanized wire?

I also know about the t post caps but I'm just asking in case I don't put on the caps. I know its safer to do so but just for my knowledge I wanted to know if the painted tops take the place of the flags or better yet serve the same purpose?

railNtrail 04-04-2011 10:11 PM

I don't know what the painted tops are for (function wise) but really you should put flags on the fence. The wire is the 'invisible' part of the fence not the t-posts. We just use old t-shirts and sheets ripped into strips for fence flags at my house. So in short no the t-post can not replace flags on the wire stretches of fence line. And for what it's worth you should ALWAYS use t-post caps as well, I have a gelding with two nasty scars caused by a t-post I'll post pictures if you like but it is WAY cheaper to put the caps on than to pay the vet bills or worse loose a horse to impalement!!

nyg052003 04-04-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by railNtrail (Post 986615)
I don't know what the painted tops are for (function wise) but really you should put flags on the fence. The wire is the 'invisible' part of the fence not the t-posts. We just use old t-shirts and sheets ripped into strips for fence flags at my house. So in short no the t-post can not replace flags on the wire stretches of fence line. And for what it's worth you should ALWAYS use t-post caps as well, I have a gelding with two nasty scars caused by a t-post I'll post pictures if you like but it is WAY cheaper to put the caps on than to pay the vet bills or worse loose a horse to impalement!!

yes post pics please

Opus 04-05-2011 09:31 PM

I'm pretty sure the white tops/green posts are a manufacturer 'branding' thing.

Franklin Industries - Farm Fence Posts