The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Question on feeding more then one (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/question-feeding-more-then-one-83030/)

lilmamabergie 04-05-2011 10:03 AM

Question on feeding more then one

Im a first time owner of an 8 year old norwegian cold blood stallion. I drop his hay in 2 to 3 piles in his paddock or in the forrest in different areas so he has to go look for it. We pick up another horse next week.
Should I feed them side by side one pile for each horse? Will I need to have them eatting on one end of the paddock away from each other. The second is a mini and she wont be eatting as much hay as he does.

myhorsesonador 04-05-2011 10:15 AM

Why are you puting a mare in with a stallion???

HowClever 04-05-2011 10:17 AM

They need to be fed separately. Because they need to be separated at ALL times.

lilmamabergie 04-05-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 987005)
Why are you puting a mare in with a stallion???

My answer: He is big and she is little but I now see how stupid that sounds. A good laugh for the day.:lol:

lilmamabergie 04-05-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowClever (Post 987007)
They need to be fed separately. Because they need to be separated at ALL times.

Will I always have to keep him alone? We are planning to buy a mare to breed with him. Can they be kept together all the time?

myhorsesonador 04-05-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmamabergie (Post 987014)
My answer: He is big and she is little but I now see how stupid that sounds. A good laugh for the day.:lol:

thats not funny at all. :-x A stallion should NOT be put in with a mare unless you are wanting a foal. Minis are know for having problems foaling you could loose both mare and baby.

Takeing this so lightly is stupid and irresponcible

lilmamabergie 04-05-2011 10:29 AM

Im not taking it lightly, thats why I came to the form to learn and ask questions.

myhorsesonador 04-05-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmamabergie (Post 987026)
Im not taking it lightly, thats why I came to the form to learn and ask questions.

ok well rule #1 stallions and mares do not share padocks. ever.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-05-2011 10:35 AM

^^^Agreed.

The fact that these questions are being asked on a web forum tells me that you have no business owning a stud.

I will leave it at that to avoid jumping on a soap box.....

HowClever 04-05-2011 10:39 AM

Honestly, it does sound like at this stage you would be better off gelding your boy. Stallion ownership is a tough gig and not something you should dive in to without first doing your research and preferrably getting some hands on experience too.

The other thing to strongly consider is whether or not he is a breeding quality stallion. What is his conformation like? Has he shown? Just because he is an in tact male does not mean he needs to be breeding, or in fact stay an in tact male.