The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Thinking about riding english? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/thinking-about-riding-english-83047/)

RylieHorses 04-05-2011 02:36 PM

Thinking about riding english?

I've been giving it a lot of thought lately, which is why i bought a 2nd horse that can do both (western and english). Anyways, can anybody give me any tips? My arabian is an experienced riding horse, but she's never been shown or competed on (just pleasure). Would i be able to excell on her, basically what i want to know is would i be able to learn on her, even though she's not a show horse (she knows w/t/c but no bells and whistles lol)? I've been riding for a long time, and i have rode english before, but it wasn't my horse. So i'm not very familiar with the tack (of course i know the basics though ;) lol). How would you think i should start out? I'm a trainer, so yes i feel weird about the thought of getting lessons. But i won't completely rule it out. But like i've said i have rode english before, i haven't bought a saddle or anything. Also i was told that english saddles are smaller in seat size compared to western saddles, is that true? I just think it would be really fun to learn something new, and expand my experience in riding :). That and english riding just looks beautiful :D

kitten_Val 04-05-2011 09:07 PM

Rylei, there is NOTHING wrong for the trainer to take lessons in discipline he/she is not familiar with. Many people do it. :wink: I personally know eventing trainers taking lessons in high level dressage. The fact you are trainer/good rider will help you a lot (because you don't have to worry about balance, position, and alike), but an experienced look from the ground helps tremendously and speeds up the process a lot.

Silvera 04-05-2011 10:10 PM

Don't feel weird about taking the lessons. I'm a trainer also, I train mostly western performance and some jumping but have never ridden dressage. I started taking dressage lessons a few weeks ago, turns out the lady I'm taking them from wants to get her horse into reining and learn western so we are able to swap :) she takes western lessons from me and I take dressage lessons from her :D

Opus 04-05-2011 10:20 PM

By all means, get a good English trainer to help.

Aside from riding and helping with your horse, they will also be a HUGE help when it comes to buying tack, understanding the different English bits, bridles, equipment, etc. There's a lot to learn outside of just riding that I think you could benefit from. (If you're lucky like me, you'll find a trainer who doesn't mind getting into theory/equipment discussions all the time, even if it puts your lesson over. By 20 minutes. :D )

RylieHorses 04-05-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvera (Post 987857)
Don't feel weird about taking the lessons. I'm a trainer also, I train mostly western performance and some jumping but have never ridden dressage. I started taking dressage lessons a few weeks ago, turns out the lady I'm taking them from wants to get her horse into reining and learn western so we are able to swap :) she takes western lessons from me and I take dressage lessons from her :D

That's pretty neat, maybe i'll get that lucky :D. Right now i'm just kind of messing with her lol, i've been riding her bareback a lot. Since i noticed i'm not as balanced as i should be in her extended trot, guh I'm to use to the WP jog. I'm bent out of shape haha. I'll look for a instructor in my area, the only sad thing is the barn i'm putting my mare in doesn't really have places to ride. But i do know she has a nice round pen, so i'm thinking that will work :). Or i could just haul her to the trainer if they have there own barn.

Ali M 04-10-2011 09:40 PM

Go for it! Learning English would be fun because you'd get to do something new. It would probably be a nice change when you've been riding and training in western all day long. And it would probably make you a better rider too! I'm sure there's lots of things that would cross over between the two styles, you'd be very well rounded. :)

Cinder 04-10-2011 09:58 PM

Dooooo it :D.I just switched from Western to English a few months ago and I aint never looking back! I will say this: it was very hard going for me. I was used to the extra support of a Western saddle and a Western way of riding. And of course the first place I really learned English I got a bad instructor. Just my luck lol!All I can say is FIND A GOOD INSTRUCTOR. A GOOD ONE. Even if you ahve to pay extra, get a GOOD one. I can not stress that enough. Infact...GOODONE.There we go!I can't say it will be easy but I really love it and I hope you will too! Get ready for some CRAZY trots though! Riding English has REALLY made me appreciate a good WP trot is SO MANY WAYS! xD. (Though I will say that WP trots are a pain in the butt to post to, lol!)
Sorry if this is all smushed together, my computer is acting up.

fuadteagan 04-12-2011 05:16 PM

Guess what?? My trainer takes lessons twice a week. Goood trainers take lessons. Trust me, their is always something to learn. Your trainer takes lessons, him/her trainer takes lessons, then that trainer takes lessons. You get the point. Anyway, english riding teaches great balance. It also is awesome. Anyway, it really is great......

RylieHorses 04-12-2011 05:19 PM

Sorry i haven't posted, i thought i subscribed to the thread but apparently i didn't :(, so i thought nobody was responding. Anyways, i'm still looking. I found a few within a reasonable distance, i'm just trying to set up some appointments, it might take longer than i thought since it looks like i'm going to have to get a babysitter. The one i found doesn't do weekends, and i found another one that does i believe 6 days a week, but takes evening appointments lol