The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Health (/horse-health/)
-   -   My Experience with botulism (

somoni 04-06-2011 12:34 AM

My Experience with botulism
My horse and his pasture buddy recently fell ill. (His buddy Sam was discovered on Thursday and my Wizard was Discovered on Friday). The vets here are stymied. They finallly said botulism because we have ruled out everything else. There is little experience with botulism here because it is about as common as getting struck by lightning. (I consulted an expert of WelcomeGet about this. ) There was only one round of antitoxin in the state and it was given to Wizard because Sam was way worse off. Sam passed away last night. Wizard is still going and seems to be getting a bit stronger every day but he is still unable to swallow food or water.

What confuses the vets here the most is the fact that neither horse was a dead ringer for botulism. According to research the horse is supposed to become paralyzed and even though Sam became recumbant and didn't want to move around, even the night he passed he was still getting up and walking around. There was no sign of total paralyzation but he did have other sympotms. It started with the inability to swallow then moved to drooping head, tremors, and recumbancy. Then he passed. Wizard can't eat. His head is droopy but not all the way down. He had tremors on Saturday but they have stopped since he was given the anti-toxin. Can anyone help?

flytobecat 04-06-2011 01:03 AM

No advice -but do they know where they got it from?

tealamutt 04-06-2011 02:08 AM

Where are you located? We see a few botulism cases each year (but then we area referral center) and most of them end the way it has for Sam, sadly. Thoughts and prayers are with you for Wizard. The fact that he is not getting worse after having gotten the anti-toxin is a very good sign!

tinyliny 04-06-2011 02:20 AM

I am so sorry . I have no idea of how to help. but it saddens me to hear about this terrible and sudden illness. I hope Wizard will pull through. So sorry for Sam.

kitten_Val 04-06-2011 07:18 AM

Sorry to hear it! Will keep Wizard in my prayers! Unfortunately no advice for me... :(

I've heard a scary story when bunch of horses at the same farm around here got it. All but one (which had botulism shot) should be put down. The vet (I use him for my own horses) was crying when he got there... The reason - crappy hay in big bales. I was told by different vets and owners that botulism shot is a must when you feed round bales.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome