The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   purina, Strategy Heatlhy edge? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/purina-strategy-heatlhy-edge-83116/)

jwells84 04-06-2011 09:16 AM

purina, Strategy Heatlhy edge?

Ive been feeding the new Strategy Healthy edge for several months now. I like that I can feed my mare a small amount1/4 to 1/2 scoop twice a day and she's staying fit,but I am concerned about her coat... It seems duller than normal. from the ingredients on the bag it seems like it should help her coat. I'm just curious if anyone else is tring this feed and how they like it.
my horse is n need of a bath and and sheding blade.(lol gotta love spring), so maybe that all it is with the dull coat.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-06-2011 09:37 AM

I feed Strategy, but the GX formula. I don't have any complaints about it. I switched to purina when the closest triple crown dealer went out of business. Even with their winter fuzzies they have stayed pretty shiny..with the exception of the mares who stay outside 24/7 w/a large lean to (the barn & stalls are like jail if you ask them) They are all big muddy messes right now with the spring thaw and rain and are desperately in need of baths!

jdw 04-06-2011 09:42 AM

I joined that Purina 60 day challenge recently, and so I wonder what feed is the best for an all around type of feed (which maybe I should feed the senior formula bc they are both 18) Do you know what the difference is in the Strategy vs. Strategy GX? Sorry to bother, but since you feed it I thought you probably know better than anyone, MHFoundation QTRS.

jwells84 04-06-2011 09:47 AM

thanks. Shes been on the strategy gx several years ago. I just wanted to try the healthy edge, since it is less protein and she is an easy keeper, as well as a little hot on some feeds. energy wise she is doing good, and body score wise she's right where i want her. I'm also thinking the dull coat might be due to the fact that she needs to be wormed. Do you think that may be it?

jwells84 04-06-2011 09:50 AM

jdw. the healthy edge has more fiber and less protein than the GX. better for a 'hot" horse I've heard. besides the coat issue im having i really like it. for an older horse Id feed them senior,but that just my preference, I know people who don't, they just feed whatever they have been,I think it just depends on the horse, if you're having weight problems with your older horse. I'd suggest the senior.. you can get on purina's horse feed website they have lots of info about there feeds, from whats in them to what kind of horse to feed it to.
hope this helps.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-06-2011 09:55 AM

The big difference as jwells said is the protein content. I feed GX over HE because of that and the ages of the horses I feed. HE isn't for any under 2 yrs old. GX I can feed to my lactating mares, weanlings/yearlings and our seniors. All of mine get worked on enough of a regular basis that they do well with the extra protein and don't get hot.

Needing to be de-wormed could absolutely be the reason her coat is dull.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-06-2011 09:59 AM

On a side note - are you using a metal shedding blade by chance jwells? Metal curries or blades in themselves can break & dull the hair.

jwells84 04-06-2011 10:09 AM

No. I just use a rubber curry. I was thinking about getting a metal shedding blade.. if they work better... what is your opinion?

jdw 04-06-2011 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I was going to say the big YES on the worming thing~absolutely can and will cause the hair/coat dullness and generally lack of luster and such. About the protein; do you know what % each is? I currently feed 12% since we are not doing much work. Also, anyone know if teeth are good what age is considered to be a senior?

jwells84 04-06-2011 10:21 AM

the GX is I believe 14% and HE is 12/5%...not sure about the teeth,my mom has a mare in it's 20's who has a good mouth,no teeth problems and she does fine on just a 14% feed, she talked to her vet about putting it on the senior and he said not to. but this horses is an extremely easy keeper too....... As far as the worming of my horse yes the more I've though about it it's been way too long. (lost track of time I guess) lol.