The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   How can the horse be AQHA and APHA????? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/how-can-horse-aqha-apha-83118/)

Citrus 04-06-2011 10:40 AM

How can the horse be AQHA and APHA?????

I keep noticing horses that are double registered as AQHA and APHA.... I thought if it had enough white to be an APHA that the horse was considered a crop out and could not be registered AQHA???????

NdAppy 04-06-2011 11:01 AM

When the AQHA changed their white rule, horses that were registered with the APHA and were out of two AQHA parents were able to go back and get AQHA papers.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-06-2011 11:04 AM

AQHA has changed color rules. I wish they had done it years ago when we had a stunning black crop out filly. She had a bald face and 4 white legs up to her belly. Boy was she a looker! If she could have been registered AQHA then we wouldn't have sold her. :(

iridehorses 04-06-2011 11:09 AM

And just as confusing, the same horse can have different names in each registry.

Citrus 04-06-2011 11:23 AM

Personally, I think the crop out rule was a good one. But apparently, you are also now going to be able to register your clone AQHA if you have enough money.

equus717 04-06-2011 12:20 PM

I am in the process of getting PT's papers so that QT can be dual registered.

Poseidon 04-06-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citrus (Post 988351)
Personally, I think the crop out rule was a good one.

Except Paints have the Tobiano gene and QHs don't, so they are different. And then the APHA got disgruntled with the AQHA sending over all of their cropouts that had a bunch of white, so they switched and decided to be registered with the APHA, the horse has to have at least one APHA parent. There's other ways to get them dually registered, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Haha.

That's how Abby is registered with the APHA. Her sire was a QH and she's solid coloured, but her dam was an APHA mare, so Abby was registered as breeding stock.

bubba13 04-06-2011 12:31 PM

Where did you hear that clones will get papers?

And why do you think that two registered Quarter Horses, who produce a nicely-built, useable, full-blooded Quarter Horse foal who just happens to inherit the white genes that his parents carry but only express minimally, should be punished?

equus717 04-06-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 988430)
Where did you hear that clones will get papers?

And why do you think that two registered Quarter Horses, who produce a nicely-built, useable, full-blooded Quarter Horse foal who just happens to inherit the white genes that his parents carry but only express minimally, should be punished?

PT dam is a full QH she had one white spot on her side very small. BUt AQHA wouldn't ecept her so she was registered as a minimal overo gray. That is how PT was registered as a Paint. I have talked to AQHA and am now getting her AQHA papers. The only reason I want them is because it will make her foals more marketable.

Citrus 04-06-2011 12:40 PM

I don't see it as a punishment... I just happen to like that idea of having too much white is a crop out. It seems that color breeds are over bred by back yard breeders, thus producing not so good feet and maybe other issues..... so if to be a QH you cannot care about color, the breed standards are more likely to be upheld. Just my opinion.

I was looking on dreamhorse.com and noticed that when a horse was a paint, it upped the price by thousands of dollars but the quality of horse was not upped, in fact it seems the opposite.