The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Leather Tack + Rain (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/leather-tack-rain-83132/)

petitepyromaniac 04-06-2011 12:24 PM

Leather Tack + Rain

Do any of you ride in your leather tack while it's raining? I don't have access to an indoor, and I don't want to stop training because of the weather. However, I don't want to ruin my tack either.

I clean and condition my tack regularly, so it's in good shape right now...

Cowgirl140ty 04-06-2011 12:26 PM

Here in Florida... Rain can be an every day... one minute sunny... one minute rain kinda place. That being said... There has been many time I have ridden in the rain. I just always make sure to hang it so that it can dry and then oil it afterwards. And I have had some of my tack for over 10 yrs.... still in exellent shape.

ErikaLynn 04-06-2011 01:02 PM

If you oil your tack after it gets wet it will help get the rain drops out. There is also tack cleaner that makes your tack water resistant.

petitepyromaniac 04-06-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErikaLynn (Post 988464)
There is also tack cleaner that makes your tack water resistant.

Have you used the stuff? I'm afraid it would be too unnatural for the leather, but what do I know?

Thank you both for your responses, I'm feeling better about my options :)

ErikaLynn 04-06-2011 01:35 PM

I have used it. It's like a leather conditioner that helps when it gets wet. I don't really know how well it works, I just used it once because I ran out of other tack cleaner. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

But from what I found oiling works the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

petitepyromaniac 04-06-2011 01:41 PM

Okay. I'll just try to oil it really good afterwards and see what happens!

kitten_Val 04-06-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitepyromaniac (Post 988472)
Have you used the stuff? I'm afraid it would be too unnatural for the leather, but what do I know?

There are a water-resistant leather conditioners out there. I believe Leather New is one of them. I use it.

upnover 04-06-2011 11:22 PM

I just clean and condition/oil after I get caught out in the rain.