The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Is fence testing genetic? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/fence-testing-genetic-83206/)

Snowkicker 04-07-2011 09:19 AM

Is fence testing genetic?

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday evening I looked out the window to see my three year old gelding with his head through the fence. Inspecting the ground on the other side. **** it! I had been working on making spring repairs on the fence and was just taking a break, and he already had his head through.

I was throwing on my coat to get back out there and finish when I had a flash back of another colt doing the same thing. His Sire who I raised from a four month old would also have his head through the fence the minute the power went out. None of the other horses I have owned including my three year old's mother have this behavior. I sold his sire when this colt was still a little foal. So it is not a behavior he learned from another horse. Just something I was wondering about.

Could he have inherited fence testing along with his spots?
What do you guys think?

TheLastUnicorn 04-07-2011 10:35 AM

LOL... I doubt it... but it's possible he inherited a "different" type of intelligence from dad... I've certainly met some horses who tend to "think outside the box" - and I would assume that's a heritable trait.

NdAppy 04-07-2011 11:21 AM

There are traits and things that are inheritable. It wouldn't surprise me if something like that was. I know that there was/is a TB stud that you could walk down a row and know which horses were by him... They were all stall kickers (like continuous nonstop stall kickers).

Snowkicker 04-07-2011 11:29 AM

Yes, both father and son are more curious than cautious. Which makes introducing new things a piece of cake. Maybe it is just a type of temperament/intellegence that is inherited that makes it more likely for him to behave this way.

Snowkicker 04-07-2011 11:30 AM

Oh Ndappy I'm glad the dad wasn't a stall kicker!